Which forum preferred for string/M-Theory?

Hi,

I have tried to determine where to put superstring/M-Theory posts. They seem all over the place right now.

At this point I'm surprised they don't have their own forum or, are at least mentioned under a forum. LOL! This is probably because they fit into any one of 4 out of the 5 Science categories and, according to many, even Pseudoscience and Speculations.

Suggestions? If the answer is already posted somewhere, sorry I missed it.

Thanks!

Rusty

Post in Physics: Modern and Theoretical for most questions, then maybe Physics: Astronomy and Cosmology if your questions is related to string cosmology.

I would not be sure where to post a very mathematical question on string theory, but I think Physics: Modern and Theoretical is probably the best place. Though, posting in Mathematics would I suspect also be ok, depending on the nature of the question.

Slightly more generally, I am unsure where mathematical physics would sit. Again, depending on the question it could fit in either mathematics or physics.

Now about the Pseudoscience and Speculations. String theory and M-theory are considered as mainstream research. Thus, unless the questions/comments etc are very removed from our current understanding they should be posted in Physics or Maths (depending on the exact nature).

I was joking. ;-)

Ok.

There has been some "string bashing" in the recent past. Smolin and Woit spring to mind. I guess I was addressing their followers rather than you directly.

I my opinion, only baisc quantum mechanics should be in the "Quantum Theory" subforum. Everything that goes beyond, i.e. quantum field theory, should be in Modern and Theoretical Physics.

This sounds correct. As much as I love M-Theory, until CERN or others spot a vanishing Graviton or some other proof/conformation for these theories is found, the opinion of this humble science fan/sci-fi writer is that science must remain rigid to the principles that have gotten us this far. Especially with something suppose to explain everything.

(Note: I'm probably about 2 years behind the edge of affairs related to string theory)

Rusty