I don't understand how the ETC produces ATP

CrazCo

I get that the energy from the electrons that as passed through the ETC pump protons across channel proteins which creates a proton gradient and it goes through the ATP synthase through diffusion which is constantly spinning. Where does the ATP come from.

I think it's because im not sure what a proton gradient is which is preventing me from fully understanding. I also don't get how it's spinning affects it and where potential energy comes in... help?

It is all about energy transformations. Electron transference liberates energy, because of the difference in the Gibbs’energy between the different complexes in the ETC.

This liberated energy is used to create a proton gradient: in a side of the membrane the concentration of protons is higher than in the other. This difference of concentration means a potential energy: when the concentrations on both sides of the membrane are allowed to level, this potential energy is liberated and used by ATP synthasa to synthesise ATP.

The potential energy of the proton gradient is similar to the potential energy of the height: we need energy to rise an object, but then, we get energy when we let that object fall.

Edited by zule