Vision: the creative apprehension of reality

coberst

Vision: the creative apprehension of reality

Wilhelm Worringer author of Abstraction and Empathy informs me that “Aesthetic enjoyment is objectified self-enjoyment”. Aesthetics is that which is pleasing in appearance, i.e. that which we find to be attractive.

What do we do when we objectify self-enjoyment? A quick answer might be that we make self-enjoyment into an object.

When we speak of “object” we generally must speak also of “subject”. We might say that the subject is the “knower” and the object is that which is “known”.

“The study of art is an indispensable part of the study of man.”

“Our experiences and ideas tend to be common but not deep, or deep but not common. We have neglected the gift of comprehending things through our senses.”

Our penchant for the facts (what can be counted or measured for distance, speed, time, or weight) has left us with a paucity of ideas for dealing with images and the meaning of those images; “we seek refuge in the more familiar medium of words…The inborn capacity to understand through the eyes has been put to sleep and must be reawakened…This limitation, however, applies not only to art, but to any object of experience”

Words can and must wait until our minds distill the categories of living that are revealed to us through our body in the process of experience. “Language cannot do the job directly it has no direct avenue for sensory contact with reality; it serves only to name what we have seen or heard or thought.”

“Unchecked self-analysis can be harmful, but so can the artificial primitiveness of the person who refuses to understand how and why he works. Modern man can, and therefore must, live with unprecedented self-awareness.” Many decades ago I asked a professor philosophy ‘what is philosophy about’; he replied that it is about radically critical self-consciousness.

Gestalt psychology has a kinship with art. Gestalt is a common German noun for shape or form derived mainly from experiments in sensory perception. “Artistic vision of reality was needed to remind scientists that most natural phenomena are not described adequately if they are analyzed piece by piece. That a whole cannot be attained by the accretion of isolated parts was not something the artist had to be told.”

“Far from being a mechanical recording of sensory elements, vision proved to be a truly creative apprehension of reality—imaginative, inventive, shrewd, and beautiful…The mind always functions as a whole…all perceiving is also thinking, all reasoning is also intuition, all observation is also invention.”

Gestalt experiments made it clear that an examination of reality requires interplay between the object and the nature of the observing subject. The objective element in experience justifies the distinguishing between what is an adequate and an inadequate conception of reality. Adequate conceptions must contain a common core of truth that will permit the art to be potentially relevant to all individuals.

Quotes from Art and Visual Perception by Rudolf Arnheim, Professor Emeritus of Psychological of Art at Harvard University. His books include Film as Art 1957, Visual Thinking 1969, The Dynamics of Architectural Form 1977, and The Split and the Structure: Twenty Eight Essays” 1996.

coberst, start a blog. That is a far better format for your style of "information sharing" than all this forum posting. People post here to discuss ideas together, not simply post ideas they want others to have discussions about. Your "fire and forget" posts do not work in a forum format.

Start a blog, then people can follow it on RSS feeds etc, and post comments. If you post in the forums: ask a question in your own words and then discuss it with those that respond. Otherwise no one will bother reading it since no one wants to participate in a discussion where what they say is ignored and you just post more random stuff without participating.

I'm trying to be very clear so you understand why people don't appreciate your posts. It's not just bascule or just any member that "doesn't like you" but you really aren't being respectful in your posting style. We take time to read what you say, and put time and thought into responses. If you just randomly post more articles and don't participate then you are just wasting everyone's time. Think about it from other people's perspective and try to be more courteous please.

padren

Are you a moderator?

No, I am speaking as a community member who has noticed that it appears you've had some trouble understanding where others are coming from when they have criticized your posting style.

From what I can see many people are frustrated by your posting style and you have not liked their comments, but also you haven't changed your style. That gives me the impression you do not understand why they do not like it. No one wants to heckle you or give you a bad experience but we just want you to follow the rules since they are there so everyone has a good experience.

You will have a better experience then too.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Meanwhile:

suspicion.png

coberst's replies can still be automated to seem as if not a bot. I'm of the opinion all coberst's threads should be outright deleted.

You agree, coberst? If so (or not), give us a seven word answer using your name in the sentence.

Coberst says that you are a heckler. Heckle--to harasses and try to disconcert with questions, challenges, or gibes, i.e to badger.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
This isn't your personal blog or a soundstage, coberst, it's a discussion forum.

A scientific discussion forum.

Do you have anything to discuss regarding this matter? If not, there's no use to keep this thread open.

~moo

How does one discuss grafitti?

Do you ever question the grafitti that makes up the responses? Are not moderators here for a purrpose beyond supporting friends? Have you any interest in creating a more intellectual forum?