Origins of Specific Bacterial Strains?

Hello Folks. I am a non-scientist with a few scientific questions, which I'm submitting here in hopes of an answer or two from you, the experts.

I have purchased some used property through a normal, straight-forward business transaction, through a seemingly reliable source. As it turned out, this location was contaminated with something that, when damp, has made me ill, and when dry, has become very irritating when breathing, and on the skin.

I normally wouldn't post on this, but it has been an ongoing situation for some months now and has been difficult to mitigate. I have tried bleach (didn't work), 35% H2O2 (worked but corrosive/toxic), 91% alcohol (works, but flammable) and planning to use activated chlorine dioxide.

I almost went broke paying for some environmental tests, the results of which follow:

1). Kocuria kristinae (high count)

2). Micrococcus sp. (med. count)

3). Staphlococcus sp. not aureus (lower count)

4). Bacillus species (lower count)

5). Corynebacterium sp. (lower count)

6). Rhizobium sp. (lower count)

My questions, if you would be so kind, are as follows:

a) Can you tell me which is the very irritating, and ill-making strain?

b) Is it dangerous short term/long term?

c) Where does it come from or originate?

d) Best option for complete mitigation.

I have never experienced this type of thing before, and I'd just like to find out a little more about it. Any and all info would be very greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

First of all, most health related issues due to dampness are afaik more due to fungi (i.e. mold) rather than bacteria. Most that are pathogenic are not that competitive outside the body. Also the counts themselves are not helpful by itself if there is no quantitative reference to what is expected.

That being said, starting with the bottom,

Rhizobium is a root nodule bacterium that forms symbioses with legumes. It is absolutely harmless. Corynebacterium these are ubiquitous bacteria, often associated with soil samples, but also commonly found on the body. Most are harmless, but there are a few pathogenic strains. However the mere presence is usually not cause to alarm as they are expected to be there.

Bacilllus same as with corynebacteria. Chances are that they are harmless. Staphylococcus are also found in soil and on your body. Most are harmless and are expected to be presence in a house. Micrococcus species are also found in skin and afaik there are no reports strains pathogenic for healthy humans.

Kocuria kristinae (finally something on the species level) are also known to be part of the skin flora (they were initially classified as Micrococus and similar to those only cases where the immune system was already compromised infections were reported.

Do not take this as a medical advice, as I am not qualified to give any, however the list of bacteria is not uncommon to be found in a house. Most of them are part of the normal skin flora and are the likely source. Also many are found in soil, which provides an additional way of getting them in. Unless the titers are unnaturally high they are not by themselves a matter of concern. It should also be noted that most of the pathogenic species are less competitive than their soil living counterparts so that if they are found on some surface it is more likely to have the non-pathogenic ones than the others.

Thank you CharonY! Greatly appreciate the info. I understand that much of these are harmless, which is reassuring, however, there is one substance among the bunch which is very irritating, and makes a burning sensation on the skin.

Have you heard of anything like that?