Stair Climbing + Robotics = ???

JoeSF35

What is an energy efficient method for a robot to climbs stairs?

I have ideas for a three wheel design (ripped off from Hannibal).

And another design that uses a hydraulic or pneumatic lift (but these seem like a waste of energy).

Any ideas?

Thank You

How bumpy do you mind it being? I mean if you're not too concerned about it bumping it's way up then these robots used by the military use those two spokes with their own tracks to haul themselves up stairs http://www.packbot.com/products/default.asp For a smoother ride you would probably want to employ a robot with lots of legs to slowly ascend stairs the old fashioned way. Would it be defeating the purpose to make a kind of customised track like used for stairlifts?

The three wheel idea is a good one but would only be suited to one set of stairs without having to customise it again (perhaps putting the wheels on extendable and retractable 'legs'?), it would also face the problem of going head over heels if the grip on the wheel wasn't good enough. Perhaps that could be solved by extending a kind of brake leg so when all the weight is put on the front set of wheels it'll be a bit more sturdy.

<How bumpy do you mind it being?>

It can be as bumpy as necessary, as long as it is getting up stairs.

<Would it be defeating the purpose to make a kind of customised track like used for stairlifts?>

Yes, I was thinking of this though. I also thought of a bot that could carry its own "ramp" with it. And then place this ramp before each stair, but this seems like a long unnecessary process.

My 3 wheel design is starting to seem far to complicated too. It was going to be 2 sets of 3 wheels rotating on the front axle and 2 wheels on the back axle, a smooth track in between......)

I like the packbot idea.

I had gotten similar ideas from watching tanks climb hills on The History Channel, but I wasn't sure if it would work for stairs (90deg).

Could I generalize the thread? I would think stairs that are made of different materials might not be "compatible" for climbing via friction or lifting with the thread.

• 4 weeks later...
What is an energy efficient method for a robot to climbs stairs?

I have ideas for a three wheel design (ripped off from Hannibal).

And another design that uses a hydraulic or pneumatic lift (but these seem like a waste of energy).

Any ideas?

Thank You[/quote

Hi,

I have designed some successful systems for mounting stairs, for the ambulance service.

If you think of a chimpansee, with its longer arms than lower body, you have the idea. Rotorary shoulders and swinging lower body, will climb stairs. I do not require this idea any longer as I will never have the time to develop it, as I have several lifetimes work already.

Kind Regards and good luck.

Craig.

• 1 month later...