About BSD......

albertlee

I have just installed FreeBSD on my laptop.......

and when I insert my PCMCIA network card after reboot, it shows this message:

card bus 0: <network> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)

vbb0: cardbus card activation failed

I have search on the Internet for this, and people say there is NetBSD, which runs on just everything, but does that mean every platform, or every hardware?

Secondly, is it possible to make a driver ourselves for FreeBSD?

Albert

which runs on just everything, but does that mean every platform, or every hardware?

How are we supposed to know without knowing what the original context was? If you mean architecture then here's a complete list of NetBSD ports:

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/

(got to admit I'm impressed they've ported it to RiscPC)

As for hardware here's the list of supported devices:

http://www.netbsd.org/Hardware/

is it possible to make a driver ourselves for FreeBSD?

Eh, yes but it requires programming skill and a knowledge of how the hardware works.

As for hardware here's the list of supported devices:

http://www.netbsd.org/Hardware/

Eh' date=' yes but it requires programming skill and a knowledge of how the hardware works.[/quote']

Cohen, and any one elses, I was wondering that FreeBSD claims to run on most of the hardwares, and NetBSD runs like anything........

I am a bit pissed off now that either my FreeBSD can't detect my PCMICIA cardbus network wireless card, that I can't access the internet under BSD.. :mad:

So, I am thinking will NetBSD run on it.....since my laptop is just 1 year old, and my hardware is not kind of weird.......

Anyway, for programming the driver, can I just configure/edit the BSD kernel in order to get my cardbus card work?

Apreciate the responds in advance

Albert

Anyway, for programming the driver, [b']can I just configure/edit the BSD kernel in order to get my cardbus card work? [/b]

Yes, but you need to know how to do 2 things:

1) Alter the BSD kernel - i.e. you need to know how the kernel works in order to modify it in the first place.

2) Reverse engineer the card to develop the modules if no existing API documentation exists.

The first one is hard enough, the second is even harder. You'll also need considerable C knowledge, and a lot of time.

Have fun :)

Yes' date=' but you need to know how to do 2 things:

1) Alter the BSD kernel - i.e. you need to know how the kernel works in order to modify it in the first place.

2) Reverse engineer the card to develop the modules if no existing API documentation exists.

The first one is hard enough, the second is even harder. You'll also need considerable C knowledge, and a lot of time.

Have fun :)[/quote']

For the first one, I know where can I start....but for the second one, do I only need to know C language? or what else do I need to learn in order to develop the modules?

Hmm. It's quite a bit different to Java: for one, the memory management is left entirely to you, and so you have to deal with things like pointers. That, and numerous other differences.

I think maybe I need just some kernel configuration maybe.....

Can any body tell me what kind of problem it is according to the below message when I insert my card....

Card bus 0: <network> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)

cbb0: cardbus card activation failed

Albert

Can any body tell me what kind of problem it is according to the below message when I insert my card....

Card bus 0: <network> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)

cbb0: cardbus card activation failed

No driver.