Should Saddam be executed??

bloodhound

I am personally against the Death Penalty and I think that the British Government should stop the American government encouraging Iraq to have death penalty. But I think Saddam is an exception. Even though morally wrong to execute him, denying the majority of the Iraqi people the justice they desperately need would be politically very bad. even if the justice is thinly veiled revenge. I think the iraqi people need to feel that the justice has been done, and they can finally get on with their life. With Saddam gone, the symphatisers will have nothing to fight for, and eventually they will see the benefits of a free iraq. And finally iraq will be able to deal with its terrorist situation.

Sorry for sounding a bit like George Bush Jr.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Death is too good for him!

put in a large tank that he can`t get out of, and all the people of Iraq should be invited to spit on him until he`s swimming in it!

take him out, give him a course of anti-biotics, then do the same again next year!

make it a national holliday set on the handover date :))

I like YT's idea.

That goes along with my idea for Timothy McVeigh: After he was convicted, they decided to blow up Market Square Arena (in Indianapolis). I thought, "Why not show him what he did to others by putting him inside and then blowing it up?"

Maybe we should give Saddam some Sarin to die with...

i am sure there are plenty of pple out there who would like that opportunity
Write to them and apply for the job.

One of the things that scares me is that if he is executed that the US, bloodthirsty capitalists that we are, would want it televised worldwide. Opinions?

I think the iraqi people need to feel that the justice has been done, and they can finally get on with their life.

That's the crux of it really, people assume they know how the Iraq people feel about Hussain. Whooping and hollering for a lynching mob is barbaric.

Before everyone jumps on the 'cure Iraq by killing Hussain' bandwagon, let me know what you think of the state Afghanistan is in. I’m betting nobody has a clue what the aftermath was like for Afghanistan, or even cares, so it’s hard for me to believe everyone has formed a sudden empathic link with the Iraqis.

That's the crux of it really' date=' people assume they know how the Iraq people feel about Hussain. Whooping and hollering for a lynching mob is barbaric.

.[/quote']

Yes, I knew someone would bring this up. That why i delibirately put I "Think" in there. and I wouldn't be surprised if I was right. There was a poll in the news claiming that about 40% of iraqis want him to be executed. compared to 13 who dont.

people assume they know how the Iraq people feel about Hussain. Whooping and hollering for a lynching mob is barbaric.

isn`t that why he`s in an Iraqi law court, so that they can decide his fate?

a Lynching party maybe "barbaric" here, but that`s were YOU`RE imposing YOUR ideals and values on THEM!

besides, in his 1`st post he says "I think the iraqi people need to feel that the justice has been done"

I don`t think that`s unreasonable, do you?

a Lynching party maybe "barbaric" here, but that`s were YOU`RE imposing YOUR ideals and values on THEM!

Unlike the rest of us, who claim to be "taking democracy to the Iraqi people"?

Roll up, roll up, see the amazing acts of democracy! Witness the summary execution of a deposed leader!

but now they have their own .Gov, surely they can say "Screw democracy" lets all become something else?

isn`t that what the whole thing was about (or should have been) to free them all, so they can elect their OWN choice?

be it, Democracy, Communism or another dictatorship even.

I dunno man, 25+ years under such a bad ass, has gotta make them somewhat opinionated with regards to where they wanna go from here, and a period of quiet (if they ever get that) may just surprise us yet :)

Yes, I knew someone would bring this up. That why i delibirately put I "Think" in there. and I wouldn't be surprised if I was right. There was a poll in the news claiming that about 40% of iraqis want him to be executed. compared to 13 who dont.

I doubt that the poll reflects the opinion of a society in which so much hate is directed toward the occupying force. You'd be surprised how much a society can tolerate of its leaders; Robert Mugabe generates a society that defends him to the death despite his seemingly limitless atrocities. The Italians, Germans and Spanish all followed fascist dictators and idolised them at the same time, all of which were worse than Hussain. North Korea had 1000 people a day die from starvation for a year, and the population still see Kim as a benevolent figure.

At least 350,000 children died from 1991 onwards as a direct result of US led sanctions in Iraq, and yet we are lead to believe that it’s Hussain that is the homicidal devil. Hussain killed the Kurds with weapons America gave him, after the Americans killed all but a handful of his returning troops by carpet bombing the defeated returning forces (over 5000 troops that had already surrendered). Bush Snr encouraged the Kurds to rise up, promising US support that never arrived, against a regime whose only available defence was WOMD.

I'm not having a go at you; I just don’t think any one person has the right to kill another. Being civilised in victory is as important as being civilised in war; murder sanctioned by jury is still murder.

This message is hidden because YT2095 is on your ignore list.

Don't reply to me, I hold no interest in you John. You know that, so direct your replys to others.

Don't reply to me, I hold no interest in you John. You know that, so direct your replys to others.

no of course you wouldn`t, not since I caught you out with your double standards :)

anyway, back on topic, I also am against the Death penalty, I`m NOT however against punishment, and I beleive after seeing tose scenes of them hitting sadams statue with thier shoes (a great insult in their culture) that a good many DO want to see him punished!

sadly there are dead ones at his hand that deserve just as much of a say in this matter, so I guess it`s really up to the survivors and familes of the dead.

I beleive after seeing tose scenes of them hitting sadams statue with thier shoes (a great insult in their culture) that a good many DO want to see him punished!

Well, as many as can fit around a statue.

The fact that some or many people want to see someone dead does not mean they should get their wish. Actually, that's kind of the point of the thread isn't it?

immoral yes. but sends out a very stong message out to people.

I doubt that the poll reflects the opinion of a society in which so much hate is directed toward the occupying force. You'd be surprised how much a society can tolerate of its leaders; Robert Mugabe generates a society that defends him to the death despite his seemingly limitless atrocities. The Italians' date=' Germans and Spanish all followed fascist dictators and idolised them at the same time, all of which were worse than Hussain. North Korea had 1000 people a day die from starvation for a year, and the population still see Kim as a benevolent figure.

.[/quote']

I just don't get ur arguement. Saddam hussien is not a leader of iraqi people rite now. i am sure if Robert Mugabe was dethroned and put to trial, many pple from zimbabwe would wish him dead.