Membranes in hyperspace?

I'm having an incredibly hard time understanding the concept of branes. Kaku theorized that in hyperspace there are multiple universes which result from the collisions between points on oscillating membranes..

But what are these membranes? How many are there? How many types are there? How many dimensions do they occupy? Why do these collisions produce universes?

The first thing you need to do is visualize hyper dimensional space. I look at it this way.

Dimensions

#1 Think of a point, zero dimensions, nothing but a location.

#2 Think of a line, one dimension, an infinite number of points can be contained in a line no matter how long the line.

#3 Think of a plain, two dimensions, an infinite number of lines can be contained in a plain with an infinite number of points on each line.

#4 Think of a cube, three dimensions, an infinite number of plains can exist in a cube, each plain contains an infinite number of lines with each line containing an infinite number of points.

Now I am going to ask that you think of the three dimensional object again but this time think of a sphere. Any sphere will do but a planet like the earth is a good way to start. Each of these shapes is still the same as the shapes described in the first three lines of this essay. Now think of the surface of the sphere, the surface of the sphere is two dimensional with the lines of longitude being one dimensional. The two dimensional surface contains an infinite number of the lines of longitude containing an infinite number of zero dimensional points.

#5 Try to imagine a four dimensional sphere, it’s surface is three dimensional, the lines of longitude are two dimensional and the infinite points on that line are one dimensional instead of zero dimensional. This would represent one moment in time in one universe.

#6 Now think of a five dimensional sphere, its surface is four dimensional and its infinite lines of longitude are 3D. Each 3D line represents the past and future of one universe with no choice no changes no variables. Each point on the 3D line would now be 2D

#7 Now think of a six dimensional sphere, its surface is five dimensional and each of the lines of longitude are four dimensional and each point on each of those infinite number of lines is three dimensional. So each of the 4D lines of longitude represent a different possible time line with each 3D point on each line being a moment in time on each of the infinite possible time lines.

#8 Now think of a seven dimensional sphere which would have a six dimensional surface with five dimensional lines of longitude and an infinite number of four dimensional points on each of the infinite lines. Now each 5D line represents a different universe with our set of natural laws and each 4D point represents all the possible time lines in each universe.

#9 Now think of an eight dimensional sphere with a seven dimensional surface with each line of longitude having six dimensions and each point having five dimensions. Now each 6D line of longitude represents an infinite number of universes with a different set of physical laws but still with in what we know is possible and each 5D point represents one of those universes.

#10 Now think of a nine dimensional sphere with an eight dimensional surface. Each line of longitude has seven dimensions and each point on that seven dimensional line has six dimensions. Each 7D line represents an infinite number of universes (Multi-verse) with every possible and to us impossible rules of nature with each 6D point representing an infinite number of universes with a certain set of rules.

#11 now think of a ten dimensional sphere with a nine dimensional surface and eight dimensional lines of longitude and seven dimensional points on those line. So each 8D line represents an infinite number of multi-verses (Mega-verse) and each 7D point being a complete multi-verse

Remember a ten dimensional sphere needs an eleven dimensional space to exist in so there you have it all possible and impossible universes in an infinite number in eleven dimensions. Remember this is just a mind exercise I used when I was in high school to visualize multiple dimensions but it is kinda cool how it resembles what is called brane theory these days. Brane theory doesn't call for a sphere shaped universe but for me it was easier to visualize it that way, the brane is 10 dimensional contained in an eleven dimensional space.

Now using this template think of our 4d universe as a plain inside a 5d (or larger) universe, inside a 5d universe our infinite 4d plain is finite. As I understand it, our 4d brane is associated with another 4d brane. the two are gravitationally bound. When they collide it's like two sheets hanging on a clothes line. The branes to not collide all at once but as wrinkles and bulges touch all the mater in the two branes annihilate into energy. form our point of view each time the branes touch it's a big bang. as the two branes come together the energy release drives them apart until gravity pulls them back together. as they are driven apart the energy released in each one condenses back into mater and the matter universe we see forms. This process can happen over and over.

Oops, one more thing, as far as I know there is absolutely no evidence for this what so ever!

Edited by Moontanman

But what are these membranes? How many are there? How many types are there? How many dimensions do they occupy? Why do these collisions produce universes?

Membranes are universes in this sence.

Well, in infinite amount i assume. That is because the 11th dimension is infinitly big.

We dont know.

How ever that they do. some branes can hold more than others.

think of it as a product type thing. when you hit two rocks together, you get energy right? well imagine two huge branes colliding. the branes come together and the energy given off creates a new brane.