Negative effects of Caffeine?

Freeman

the only downside of caffiene they told us in the addictive drugs section of health class was that it decreases bone mass if you have too much. something about dissolving calcium or helping it flow out of the body instead of being used... something like that, i dont remember exactly.

also, its a diaretic. youll pee a lot. as for dehydration... i dont know if i buy that one, i have gone periods of a month or two drinking literally nothing but mountain dew.

Guest Spacincutie8

ok so ive been told cofee stunts your groth but caffine is some imes good. is there anything else in the coffe besides the caffine that might stunt youre growth?

• 2 months later...
Guest Sxy_Nerdette

OK, I'm new here! Hehe I'm a newbie! :)

I am a major coffee lover, however I have to say I totally agree with the theory that the old "tip of the tongue" phenomena is due to caffeine. There is evidence to show that caffeine can improve your short-term memory, however at the same time, it may make you forget very simple words - they're left on the "tip of your tongue", as they say!

I'm posting this quite late, but hopefully I can start visiting here more often!

Lots luv,

Sxy_C (Buff Nerdette - jks!)

it decreases bone mass if you have too much. something about dissolving calcium or helping it flow out of the body instead of being used... something like that' date=' i dont remember exactly.

[/quote']

That is not an exaggeration.

I'm 18 years old, extremely active, no family history of low bone density, blah blah blah, and I got diagnosed with osteoporosis yesterday, due to several years of not so healthy habits involving tons of caffiene and not a whole lot of food.

Just thought I'd make the point that YES, it will leach calcium from your system, I take my supplements religiously but it doesn't seem to have mattered. I even have a tooth that's starting to decalcify because my body was so desperate for it.

Anyway, there's an anecdote for you. Believe me, I'm a huge coffee lover (although I'm off caffiene now on doctor's orders) and am not trying to demonize it, just wanted to make the point that it can definitely be overused.

I was involved in a study about drug abuse some years ago. The aim was to understand the nature of addiction by abstaining from our usual soft drug of choice ,then noting reactions.

It was interesting to note that the coke drinkers among us suffered more than the coffee drinkers . The symptoms including those already mentioned with a bit of hysteria thrown in.

My drug of choice , tea came in at number 4.

A recent study (sorry don't have the link) showed that coffee improves focus is used in small amounts throughout the day. Not your usual big mug or big gulp. Coffee is useful for most people with ADD/ADHD provided that they are not using a stimulant medication. Used with a stimulant medication, coffee is unnecessary and can result in high blood pressure and agitation thus compounding the side effects of drugs like Ritalin and Adderall.

An effect that might lead people to investigate whether or not they might have ADD/ADHD is that coffee calms (can even make slightly drowsy) people with ADD/HDHD.

• 7 months later...

the bloated look is you being healthy :/

purposely dehydrating yourself is a very harmful activity and should not be undertaken.

also, to my knowledge your body does not hold excess water, it keeps what it needs to function at peak levels. reducing this will lead to fainting, lightheadedness, and fatigue

moral of the story don't dehydrate yourself

but too much bloating isn't good either. Right now I am cutting back on my salt intake, and I notice a bit of difference. Since I only drink about 4 or 5 cups of coffee a week, I don't think I have an addiction with it, and don't worry about chronic dehydration since I drink lots of water.

Well, since most caffeine comes in a liquid form the diuretic effect is canceld out by the liquid intake.

This principle is not strictly true. Alcoholic drinks came in liquid form, but alcohol is an effective diuratic, so if you're having a 'session' drinking say, beer, you will always excrete more than you take in and will become dehydrated. The reason this doesn't tend to happen with coffee is not because it comes in liquid form, but because it's a less effective diuretic.