Surprise! There's Water On The Moon.

bbrubaker

Well....probably.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113159860

"September 24, 2009

Three different space probes have gathered evidence that the top layer of the moon's surface contains hidden stores of water."

how is it hydroxyl radicals can exist all over the surface of the moon. An Hydroxyl radical will react with just about anything else it comes in contact with including other hydroxyl radicals creating water and O2 and I suppose O3 oxygen. No ozone layer to protect the surface. Is water continually being split by UV, gamma rays and such. Is that the answer ? The article states hydroxyl radicals exist all over the surface of the moon. Does that seem possible to you chemists out there ? Just curious what you real chemists out there make of this article. ...Dr.Syntax

yes, the water would be continually split by radiation from the sun so there would be an equilibrium of hydroxyl radicals with the same rate of generation and consumption.

and you have to remember that the moons surface is a vacuum. this means a water molecule can travel many thousands of miles without bumping into anything to react with.

and you have to remember that the moons surface is a vacuum. this means a water molecule can travel many thousands of miles without bumping into anything to react with.

Assuming the maximum value of the moon's surface of 107C, a water molecule will have a mean speed of:

[math]\overline{v}=\sqrt{\frac{8\cdot{R\cdot{T}}}{\pi\cdot{M}}}=\sqrt{\frac{8\cdot{8.3145\cdot{(107+273.15)}}}{3.14159\cdot{0.018}}}= 668 m/s [/math] (formula from Atkins Physical Chemistry - a textbook made of paper)

... which is only 28% of the escape velocity, and slower than the orbital speed of the moon.

I just thought it would be funny to add these numbers. I am not claiming that the numbers will have any connection to the presence of water, or to the fact that it seems so rare (in other words, I add a disclaimer here that I'm no expert)... but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a connection.

As mentioned, the value is the mean velocity. So, there are plenty of molecules which can have a higher velocity... values higher than the escape velocity are probably well within the realm of possibilities... Sadly, I do not know the standard deviation, or the type of chance distribution of the mean velocity of molecules...

Edited by CaptainPanic

• 2 weeks later...