Are there any relevant secular reasons to oppose incestuous marriage?

Severian

To play devil's advocate here, some drunk drivers are better than some sober drivers, but we do have more generalized laws based on the statistical trends.

Based on drunk drivers being worse drivers in general than sober drivers in general, or based on individual drivers driving worse drunk than sober?

Based on drunk drivers being worse drivers in general than sober drivers in general, or based on individual drivers driving worse drunk than sober?

Based on one individual with a 0.08 who still has sharper reaction time, eyesight and driving skill than another individual in their 80s. Or, a person who is exceptionally sleep deprived, which can be more deleterious than alcohol.

- To be clear I am not advocating drunk driving or any such things, just pointing out it doesn't matter how well a driver with 0.08 could master a live driving test, they are still barred from driving under the influence while it is legal for someone who is tired or otherwise has reduced capacities that can still meet the baseline requirements.

t. The point is "who are you to tell two adults that love each other that they can't be together". And this argument is taken directly from the proponents of SSM. It doesn't matter if you think it wouldn't be wise for them to do it. It's their life, not yours, and they can make their own decisions as legal adults.

Who here is making that specific argument? Not me.

I don't see why the philosophy of SSM can't be used on incestuous marriage as well. Seems like blatant hypocrisy to me.

For what it's worth, I'm not opposing incestuous marriages, just trying to provide a secular rationale for doing so. That is the topic of the thread.

Wouldn't it also be the case though that some incestuous relationships are just as healthy as non-incestuous ones, whereas some non-incestuous relationships (gay or otherwise) can likewise be psychologically unhealthy?

I think it's fairly safe to conclude that pretty much all incestuous relationships are unhealthy, and many are abusive. I will certainly entertain anecdotes of an actual healthy incestuous couple though; that would be interesting to read about.