recomended science reading?

davef

Hello forum;

I am interested in learning more about the universe and science in general on my own time. I read A Brief History Of Time recently and I couldn't grasp for example the importance of spin particles. I went only as far as highschool physics. I am thinking maybe low level college texts. Are there any books you can recomend? Thank you.

I grab my information wherever I see it, so I can't quite recommend any particular text for you to use, but I suggest visiting a college bookstore. The only downside is that some stores require a college I.D., so you may need to make a few quick friends with a few students, and the cost.

do a Googley search for the types of books that interest you, write down the ISBN number, and you`ll find that most good bookstores will order that book for you, no ID needed, just your cash :)

I take courses from The Teaching Company. They are taped college courses. Right now I'm working my way through a 60-hour Joy of Science course taught by Robert M. Hazen (PhD, Harvard University) to brush up on all I missed in the past 40 years.

My one before this was Einstein's Relativity and the Quantum Revolution by Richard Wolfson (PhD, Dartmouth College).

My next one will be either anatomy or mathematical thought.

Here's link to their current curriculum of science courses, which come with all course materials and are available on DVD, video and audio.

Every course goes on sale once or twice a year. I wait and get them on sale for about $100-120.

http://www.teach12.com

I always recommend Brian Greene's "The Elegant Universe" as a general interest in the universe type of read. It's a wonderful book, even if you have no background in physics.

College textbooks are good, but they might be more than you're looking for. If you want in-depth discussion of the topics, go for college textbooks.

I always recommend Brian Greene's "The Elegant Universe" as a general interest in the universe type of read. It's a wonderful book, even if you have no background in physics.

Good thinking that man.

The Emp's New Mind (Roger Penrose) is mostly about AI, but it touches on literally EVERYTHING ELSE.