Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest mima1129

Guest mima1129

For my a2 coursework I have to plan and carryout an experiment. The problem is I have no idea what to do about. Please help, i appreciate all suggestions. I would like to involve possibly a football theme or a memory theme. Something along those lines.

• 4 weeks later...

MEMORY is a stranger!

In truth the nowness is all you ever have..

I hope you dont mind me hitting your POST..

I hope you achieve your GOAL

Lifes a BALL

PASS on this information

TACKLE your subject.

We are all hoping for EXTRA TIME..

Etc Etc....

MEMORY is a stranger!

In truth the nowness is all you ever have..

I hope you dont mind me hitting your POST..

I hope you achieve your GOAL

Lifes a BALL

PASS on this information

TACKLE your subject.

We are all hoping for EXTRA TIME..

Etc Etc....

I dont see how that helps kether.

What does a2 stand for and are there any other guidelines?

It's the 2nd part of the now silly A-level qualification, designed for 16-18 year olds. Our thread starter is likely to be 18, or 17 at a pinch.

A2 is the second year of A-Levels, which are two year courses in the UK. A2 would be the year immediately preceding university, if you chose to go to it and didn't take a gap year.

I don't know if I can suggest much mima1129, especially since it's been so long since the post (so I'm sure it's already done). But just in case, these might be helpful for ideas:

http://www.courseworkbank.co.uk/AS__A2_and_A-Level/Psychology/

http://www.coursework.info/41/

These aren't experiments, but they might give some ideas. But again, I'm sure this has already been resolved. Hopefully you'll get a good grade with whatever one you chose (maybe the long-term memory of people watching football for an hour, two hours, or three as compared to those who wath none, assuming no alcohol is drunk during those times...)

EDIT: Didn't see JaKiri's post. He's definitely right about the 'silly' part. :/

How are the guidelines for working with human subjects?

There's a great history of simple experiments on how humans recall events. However if you wanted to do even the most simple experiment that involved humans at my college it was a pain in the rear end to get approval. (It was important that they did that though. Some people had some really pretty dangerous ideas and didn't think them so.)

How are the guidelines for working with human subjects?

There's a great history of simple experiments on how humans recall events. However if you wanted to do even the most simple experiment that involved humans at my college it was a pain in the rear end to get approval. (It was important that they did that though. Some people had some really pretty dangerous ideas and didn't think them so.)

The British Psychological Society publishes ethical guidelines for experiments using human subjects. I have attached a copy to this post for you.

Kether, if you have nothing to say, please say it.

Guest mima1129

ummm......... cheers for all ur replies (as strange as they were) I hav still a couple of months 2 cum up wiv a suggestion. so all ideas are appreciated :)

How does it help you?

I am trying to post some reading material as an attachment.

But alas no success. I have in part an answer to your question in a word document

I can send via email if anyone is interested?

The article I have is not to my knowledge on any web site.

You're right of course. I could have posted the BPS guidelines as a WordPerfect document (my preferred choice of word processor), but nobody seems to use it anymore. Shame really. It's better than word.

The British Psychological Society publishes ethical guidelines for experiments using human subjects. I have attached a copy to this post for you.

Cool reading. Actually' date=' less important than the guidelines (they aren't that hard to meet) is the process one has to go through to get approval to use human subjects. The approval process at my college was pretty dam involved even if you just wanted to really simple memory tests.

(I think this all came from objections to Milgram's experiment. Someone somewhere decided that making people realize they would kill other people if a guy in a lab coat told them to was bad.) :eek:

Some Milgram links....

THE MAN WHO SHOCKED THE WORLD

Milgram

Isn't it something like 8 years old?

So what do we post besides Word? Notepad?

I use Word once in a blue moon. I prefer Textedit or mac OS X. I sometimes use Quark Xpress.

As a semi universal format I recoment Rich Text Format (.rtf)

1) you could test the memories of people at different ages for both verbal and visual memory

2)you could test the effects of different kinds of music on peoples memories or other kinds of mental activities.

3)you could test whether peoples memories are affected by smells, lound repeating annoying sounds, or affter they just eat certain kinds of foods.

4)you could get a female friends and a male friend to ask strangers for help and see if there is a difference in the amount of people that help them

5)you could get friends of differnt ethnic backgrounds to ask for help or try to get assitance at stores and see if there is a difference

6)You could test how suggestable people's memory is by having two people try to remember something that you set up, but one of them is a friend that insist that it happened in a way that is wrong. Then test if this affects the others memory.

7)Test whether left handed people really are more creative than right handed

8)give football fans questionares that test how happy or depressd they are in relation to wherther thier team has won recently and see if and how much it changes.

9) You could research the backgrounds of football players and find if their is somekind of correlation between being a professional football player and their parents education, profession, how big the family is, whether anone else is an athlete, etc.

10) you could tell a stranger you have an important quetion to ask them then say hold on and walk around the corner or in a room and have a friend come out wearing the same cloths and see if they notice.

I could go on and on, does any of this help?

Isn't it something like 8 years old?

No. WordPerfect Office brings out new releases the same as any other software. It's up to about v12 now I think.

Cool reading. Actually' date=' less important than the guidelines (they aren't that hard to meet) is the process one has to go through to get approval to use human subjects. The approval process at my college was pretty dam involved even if you just wanted to really simple memory tests.[/quote']

The process should be more or less the same anywhere. The ethics committee should provide you with a set of requirements, then you'd need to give the ethics committee a written research proposal which shows how their requirements are met.

Depending on how the research was classified (from no ethical issues to significant ethical problems) their can be a number of outcomes including clearance by chairs' action (very quick), clearance by ethics committee (takes time as you'd have to wait until the committee sat again) down to refusal.

Most problems can be avoided by demonstrating that the research adheres to the BPS guidelines. Unless your institution has particular requirements, they would have no reason to refuse it. You might have problems if anyone at your college is less than 16. Then you enter the whole parental consent thing as people less that 16 yrs old are considered too young to provide informed consent.

(I think this all came from objections to Milgram's experiment. Someone somewhere decided that making people realize they would kill other people if a guy in a lab coat told them to was bad.)

Yeah, well, nobody likes finding out they are capable of torturing another person simply by being asked to do so, especially after they'd just spent WWII demonising the nazis and the Japanese for being cruel. Although that study wouldn't get ethical clearance today, I think it provides a significant lesson and I'm glad it was done.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mima1129

cheers for all ur help. I fink i will go wiv d music 1 and see if listening to different kinds of music really helps people think