Earth

Law

I told my friend a riddle the other day and it had to do with the earth and the moon. I stumped him. I said the earth wasnt earth until the moon was created. But he said it was always earth but with poison gasses and no moon. We arugued and asked people for the last 2 days of school and the response was 50/50. SO...would the earth be earth even without the moon and life? Or would you say the earth wasnt earth until an asteroid (or whatever else you think) hit it? Please post im going to send him this link. Also another question i just thought up! Who named the earth and how did all of mankind come to an agreement naming it earth? Your response is greatly appreciated.

I would imagine that the Earth would still be the Earth even before the Mars-sized planet or some such hit it and produced the Moon from the debris, or the poisonous gases were replaced by a breathable atmosphere over time. It would still be the same rock, so to speak. Venus would still be Venus if a planet hit it, formed a moon, and its atmosphere fixed itself up... but only in its name, I would imagine. But as far as everything we know about it is concerned, it might as well be a different planet after that. Which makes one wonder what the Earth would be like if it hadn't been hit by the planet, and if life would have even evolved...

The name "Earth" is the English name for Earth. Here's a list from a German website, but the words are all the same: http://www.wappswelt.de/tnp/nineplanets/days.html I don't know whether all of these words actually have the same meaning in other languages, though it's quite possible; most other versoins of "Earth" stem from the words meaning soil or ground (just as "soil" is sometimes called "earth" now).

The moon had to have formed after the formation of the earth or it would have had nothing to orbit, and the earth had to have formed into a mass with enough gravitational pull to hold the moon to an orbit.

The existence of the moon and/or life as we know it on the planet would have no relation to the formation of the earth itself. It became a planet upon coalescence of the vaporous clouds into concrete matter and it began orbiting the sun.

Gott and Belbruno of Princeton are postulating that the moon was formed when a Mars-like superplanetesimal escaped from one of the Lagrangian points (either L4 or L5) right after the earth had formed, impacting the earth in a low-speed collision and causing a vaporization of rock, which then coalesced into the moon.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/moon_formation_040621.html

I have at least three problems with this theory.

In order for the impactor to have formed at L4 or L5, earth's gravitation pull must have been established and matured in order to be strong enough to equibalance that of the sun, which is not consistent with early formation.

If the earth had been suffiently mature, could such a low-speed impact by a relatively amorphous mass be enough to split off a vapor cloud of enough enormity as to become the moon?

And how would the vaporized rock coalesce into the moon without the strong gravitational pull extant today, and what forces were at work during that time to create an orb rather than rings.

Ah, questions, questions. But those are my thoughts on the topic.

• 2 weeks later...
So really' date=' the moon and the Earth are kind of chasing each other, going in a circle, one always behind the other?

NO.

Do you have PROOF?[/quote']

Stop asking that "do you have PROOF" challenge, it's getting really annoying.

The center of gravity about which the moon orbits is the center of gravity of both the moon AND the earth. They are a mass system (well, for simplicity's sake imagine they exist independently of the rest of the solar system or it gets really complex).

:confused:

edit:

Just to clarify' date=' I didn't understand that at all. Are you saying he's right or wrong?[/quote']

He's right.

The "moon orbits the Earth" concept would have to ignore the fact that the mass of the Earth is subjected to the moon's gravity as well as vice versa.

So really' date=' the moon and the Earth are kind of chasing each other, going in a circle, one always behind the other?

NO.

Do you have PROOF?[/quote']

Dude, yer wrong,

any two bodies in orbit do so around a center of gravity

the one between the earth and the moon is about 3/4 from the center of the earth to the surface, not at the center of the earth

Dude' date=' yer wrong,

any two bodies in orbit do so around a center of gravity

the one between the earth and the moon is about 3/4 from the center of the earth to the surface, not at the center of the earth[/quote']

Ahem.

I was in a state of confusion then. Didn't you read my later posts?