Fourier analysis

MOSFET

Hi

1. What is the benefit of using Fourier analysis?

To do what? As opposed to what?

Fourier analysis is based on two gadgets, the Fourier transformation and the Fourier series.

You can think of the Fourier transformation as a transformation between a complex valued variable and a real one.

As an example form signal analysis one can pass back and fore between time and frequency.

The Fourier series for functions an a circle (ie. periodic) allows you to decompose the real functions in terms of complex exponentials.

2. What is the difference between time domain and frequency domain?

A Fourier transformation.

Have a look at the wiki article on Fourier analysis.

Applications are wide spread in engineering, physics and mathematics.

It comes up in quantum mechanics and quantisation for example. As for the more engineering side of things, I am sure other people here can help more than I can.

Since we're talking about domains, then I think it's safe to assume we're talking about the transform.

Changing domain just converts the equation into another equation in terms of another variable - in short, some problems are easier to solve in one domain than another so having a gadget to jump between the two is pretty useful.

• 4 weeks later...