laser

T-Mac

I wonder what lasers are actually capapble of doing, i mean we`ve all seen the movies, where they cut holes inside thick metal doors with a laser and blow things up using a laser. How much of it is true?

This is the most powerful laser at the moment:

http://www.consumerenergyreport.com/2009/03/30/worlds-most-powerful-laser-has-the-energy-of-a-hydrogen-bomb/

The most powerful laser metal cutters seem to be class iv CO2 lasers. I can't find any handheld laser metal cutters like in the films but this static industrial cutter is capable of cutting 1 1/4" steel plate to give you an idea.

http://www.norfolkiron.com/page.asp?pageID=12

lasers that can cut and blow stuff up do exist but they are far from hand held. they are usually quite massive.

the laser that can blow stuff up(only when its aimed at something containing explosives unfortunately) should be able to fit into a hummer in its final configuration(takes up the bakc end of an articulated truck just now) can be used to detonate a tank shell or missile when it is inflight.

Missile intercept testing apparently begins or began this month.....

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/abl/

it really takes time to get stuff like this going eh!

The most powerful laser metal cutters seem to be class iv CO2 lasers.

I thought C02 was kind of limited to organic and YAG was kind of limited to metal..............

Edited by buttacup

Well I said kind of because I had known they could, I was however incorrect in that they don't do it very well. I have gone over some material which still suggests the existence of advantages with YAG over CO2 in the actual cutting but these are not inhibiting factors(obviously.) Also the savings in power consumption of CO2 lasers seem to be of greater advantage. It was interesting going over the material.

thx

Well I said kind of because I had known they could, I was however incorrect in that they don't do it very well. I have gone over some material which still suggests the existence of advantages with YAG over CO2 in the actual cutting but these are not inhibiting factors(obviously.) Also the savings in power consumption of CO2 lasers seem to be of greater advantage. It was interesting going over the material.

thx

Yes, you are right for applications where the beam diameter needs to be as small as possible with the minimum of heat spread. I found this:

"The fundamental wavelength of the Nd YAG laser is 1.064 microns while the CO2 laser emits at 10.6 microns. Most industrial laser marking systems use either the fundamental output of these lasers. The Nd YAG laser wavelength can also be shifted into the green at 0.355 micron or the UV at 0.266 microns using non linear optics. These shorter wavelengths are now being adopted for very small (micro-marking) applications in a broad range of materials. The shorter wavelength of the Nd YAG laser couples to metal better than the CO2 laser. However, for many marking applications on plastics or painted objects, the CO2 laser is equally as practical as the Nd YAG laser and may be somewhat less costly. Nd YAG laser beams also have the advantage of focusing to a smaller spot diameter, with higher power density. As a result, they produce a smaller heat affected zone and less thermal distortion. Nd YAG laser energy may also be delivered via a fiber optic cable which allows for greater flexibility in the factory environment.

In general, Nd YAG lasers at the fundamental 1.064 wavelength are best suited for marking metals while the CO2 laser is more suited for plastics, painted or organic marking. This is the Global Standard."

I got it from here:

http://www.inkcups.com/articles/co2-and-yag-laser-technology/Default.aspx

Although this article is about marking we can, I think , assume these differing abilities, mentioned above, extend to cutting since we both know each type is capable of cutting metal anyway.