Windows vs Linux......

albertlee

http://www.pcworld.co.nz/PCWorld/pcw.nsf/0/ACC21A8F154C34B0CC256AED006F7668?OpenDocument

Above is a link of the comparison of Windows and Linux....

As what it is in that page, some people still think that Windows Xp sucks....but to me, I think Windows Xp has a really good performance rather than Linux...

Linux is only good for free legal softwares...it is the cost that makes it advantageous, but due to my experience, Linspire works very slow compared to Xp....I was surprised by that, since it has an Unix kernel....

I think the reason why people hate Xp so much is because Microsoft has a monopoly on OS.. :) It is a disadvantage for the customers...but a advantage for Microsoft.....

Albert

As what it is in that page' date=' some people still think that Windows Xp sucks....[/quote']

Yep, I'm one of them.

I think Windows Xp has a really good performance rather than Linux...

Why don't you try running Linux/Unix on a PC as opposed to a Mac. You'll see the difference.

Linux is only good for free legal softwares...

What???

it is the cost that makes it advantageous, but due to my experience, Linspire works very slow compared to Xp....I was surprised by that, since it has an Unix kernel....

What???

Well, you know, if the system is not set right, then it'll be buggy......

I think the reason why people hate Xp so much is because Microsoft has a monopoly on OS.. :)

No, at least not all of them.

For me, when I was doing C and C++, I loved the ability to be able to modify any part of the OS I wish. Try doing that on Windows ;)

I know Mac has a really good performance better than Windows, but its softwares, unlike Linux, is free-sourced, and I dont want to waste my windows softwasres and all the money on buying new softwares for that......:)

For Linux, I mean, why Linspire is so slow, ...... ???

To admiral, as what Lindows said, Linspire is the easiest Linux OS...And while in the installation, it rarely has any setting at all.......

Lindows just want to make LinspireLinux to be as easy as possible, but not for its performance......

More over, I just want to ask, does Mandrake support all windows hardwares, esp my PCMICIA wireless Lan card?

Will be apreciated for the responds..

Albert

i do not agree, err, i hate the fact that most recent flavours of linux are gearing more towards the X windows system and i will not use one. hence the reason why Slackware is still much more difficult for a novice user, then something like RedHat.

More over, I just want to ask, [b']does Mandrake support all windows hardwares, esp my PCMICIA wireless Lan card?[/b]

There's no such thing as "windows hardware" - it's all the same stuff ;). And don't forget XP can be crashed by hardware, never mind fail to run it.

Mandrake supports a vast array of hardware (most hardware is fairly generic to be honest). You're best off looking at Mandrake's support resources for specifics instead of asking us.

Remember that different brands of the same item will often use the same chipset. Most distros of linux will have some form of hardware auto-detection to some extent, and I'd think that it'd be able to detect your card as long as it's not using some wierd chipset that nobody's ever heard of.

i hate the fact that most recent flavours of linux are gearing more towards the X windows system and i will not use one.

Why? What's so wrong about having an X server on your computer?

Because it makes you rely more on the GUI. The more sophisticated a GUI becomes, the more crashes it becomes prone to. So if (and I sure hope not) eventually Linux will look like Windows, where all the primary functions are done in the GUI's - X windows, then the shell will become more like MS-DOS, a secondary system as opposed to being the primary.

I still use Gnome at times, but the fact that I have to load the xfree86, is still annoying me, and like I said, it serves me for a very limited time/degree. Besides, I like browsing the web in a Lynx browser(yeah, call me crazy :rolleyes: )