Networks

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would say the same, excpet that this computer is a bit slow, and XP is too advanced for it! thats how old this computer is, its not mine though, im on XP its a family one. i never use it, so its not mine to upgrade, just its my job to network em, so thats why i asked.

See if you can convince the owner to upgrade to Win2K - that works fine on lower spec machines, and you can easily add it to an XP workgroup.

Assuming that computer's hardware can physically sustain WinXP.

What is it to run XP the processor has to be at least 500Mhz and 128MB of Ram.

No, the Windows XP upgrade will set you back about $100.00 or so.

Assuming that computer's hardware can physically sustain WinXP.

What is it to run XP the processor has to be at least 500Mhz and 128MB of Ram.

No' date=' the Windows XP upgrade will set you back about $100.00 or so.[/quote']

I said "See if you can convince the owner to upgrade to Win2K - that works fine on lower spec machines, and you can easily add it to an XP workgroup."

i did that, still dont help, any other suggestions?

Thus far, I have not tryed to do file-sharing on my system through the router. I'm too lazy at the time to mess with the router and open ports, or well, I guess you can set one of your computers under a DMZ, but that really has no merrit since with DMZ you won't be getting that 'hardware' firewall protection from your router.

However my last network between XP and 98 using a cross-over connection was perfectly.

Try this site as it might help in your quest:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com

There's nothing I've heard of that can do that I'm afraid.

If you're talking about a USB>Ethernet or Ethernet<USB converter, they make those. Belkin is one of the companies that make such things.

I would recommend a router/modem/firewall all in one.

If I had cable internet, the modem that fit your description just well would be a Motorola Surfboard 1000.

Sayo, I've appereanly misread your post. :-(

I've currently got a 802.11g wireless network setup at my house. My modem, router, and vonage phone thingy is all located in the living room, with no physical connection to a pc.

Now, the intructions tell you that you have to have connected to a pc, and these seems true as far as setting it up. But once you get a pc connected on the wireless network, and know it is functional, you can unplug the ethernet cable from the setup pc, take that card out, install a wireless nic and boom.

Infact, since I've configured it, I've reinstalled OS's on both my computers, and haven't had to change a thing on the router. I can unplug it, move it around, plug it back in and it still works.

I think the whole "master pc" is ole school. Depending on what your trying to network, like 2 or 3 pc's, you can do it without a router, just using ICS (But then one pc MUST be on to have internet at the others). Simply install 2 nic cards in the main pc, plug modem into one, and run a cable from the 2nd one to the other pc. If you want to network a 3rd pc, you'll need 5 nic cards all together.

I just have alot of computer junk laying around, so this was a good setup for me originally, even though my networking teacher told me it would not work. However, the cost of 5 new nic cards is probably right around that of a decent wireless router.

although this is not wireless option, you can buy a hub very cheaply, less than 5 nics

The thing about hubs is that you need additional IP's. Some companies will let you have a few IP's, ie: the one I work for, will only let you have 1 IP. If you want more for your hub, you have to lease them.

Well, like I said, I've been salvaging old computers for quite sometime, so I've got lotsa junk laying around. I also use such a method of networking, for example, to provide internet to second pc's that I fix for people here or there.

He probably meant router, which does not require separate IP's

The router has a single IP address, and PCs networked through it are assigned different IP addresses to identify them on your network.

Any PC on your network connecting to the internet through the router will appear to have the router's IP.

so if i were sending a message or otherwise "communicating" to a computer via the computer IP, how would i get around the fact that this "communication" would go through the router [with IP address 1] and then onto my computer [with IP address 2]? what IP would i send the original message to?

well, my router has an IP address, and my individual computer has a different IP address? right, coz thats what you said in post #47. so if i were using IPs to do stuff, e.g. send messages, connect to the computer remotely, which IP should i use?

if i want to remotely connect to my computer, using an IP address, i would have to do this via the internet or WWW. so this would have to go through my router. my question is, to get to my router i need one IP, to get my computer i need another different IP what to i do when i get asked for the IP of the computer im trying to connect to [which is mine]?

coz i know my IP, but my router has a different one and presumably i need to go through the router first to get to my computer, so which IP do i use?