Precious Metal `Clay`

YT2095

erm yes, she heard it pop and felt it land on her!

I`ve fixed it now anyway, told the truth, but by then it had already gone near black, and she was laughing saying that I owe her a new blouse. I put nitric acid on a water soaked peice of rockwool and the black vanished (although the last bits after a top up of nitric did make the fabric go a bit yellow) then put it in cold water with washing powder in it, they`re both hanging out to dry now (mine and hers).

so far so good, and no black stains, her arms and face just yet? I don`t know, but no black at the moment! :))

just plain and simple local heating at the base of the boiling tube, a droplet of water must have slid down, instantly turned to steam and as it did, ejected as much solid matter as it could :(

we`re the SFN comunity, I guess that would probably sound weird to someone outside of it, but I don`t feel weird about it, so I guess by the same token they don`t either :)

besides, if they have a Silversmith comunity and sit and share ideas and techniques over a beer or 2, fair play to them, I`m all for it :)

we`re the SFN comunity, I guess that would probably sound weird to someone outside of it, but I don`t feel weird about it, so I guess by the same token they don`t either :)

besides, if they have a Silversmith comunity and sit and share ideas and techniques over a beer or 2, fair play to them, I`m all for it :)

I think that is also the reason. If I told my mother about it, she would say "What rubbish!"

I dont think it would be silver due to the Cl2 gas as said above, im gonna go away and dig for awnser's.

How much does silver sell for? the blowtorch part makes me think it is ionic and rather strong...how long od you have to blow torch it for?

I`m still waiting for the AgCl to dry though, I`m still going to try my original idea using it, if it fails there`s nothing lost, and Data gained :)

besides I can easily reclaim all the silver again, it`s hardly difficult! :)

well sadly I couldn`t :(

but since the silver was for free in the 1`st place I wasn`t too worried :)

and no, she didn`t develop purple/black spots on her, it was caught in time and was already silver chloride when it hit her (if it were the Nitrate, that would have been different!), so all`s cool in Lab now :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nomesie

Im a jewellery maker who uses PMC. As i understand it, it is very fine silver particle suspended in an organic binder. The binder can be moulded like clay. When fired the binder burns away leaving only the silver particles which are fused together in firing.

search for "precious metal clay" or "art clay silver" to see more about it.

Hope this helps guys

Naomi