New Element - help please stuck on homework

Louey

I have a task to do and am a bit stuck - and feeling rather thick :embarass:

Somewhere above atomic number 110 there is an island of stability where the atoms of elements are likely to have longer lifetimes. There is as yet an unknown element that has 120 protons and 174 newtrons, it is called utimatum and has the symbol Ul

1. I need to state the atomic number (120?) and give the full symbol for the isotope (is this 294 over 120 Ul?)

2. I have to give the Period and the Group of the periodic table where I would expect to find Ul and explain how I arrived at it (I am stuck here with the group and have it under period 7).

3. I have to name another chemilca elememt in the Periodic table that I would expect it to resemble closely (? do I look at something with the same number of protons and neutrons?)

4. I have to state and give my reasons whether I expect it be a metal, semi-metal or non-metal (? is this given away by the numbers?)

5. Have to give the highest empirical formula of the highest normal oxide and highest fluoride of Ul (and have to explain how I got the formula). Guess this is Ul something 0 and UlF but not sure if I should have any other numbers there.

6. Suppose that the isotope of Ul whose symbol I wrote in 1 above undergoes a succession of 7 a-decay reactions:

(a) what isotope would be the final product of these changes? Do I remove 7 lots of something and so many protons and the figures I end up with give me another isotope??

(b) is the final product an ianthanie, actinide, a transition element of a typical element (no idea at the moment! wild guess is an actinide but this is a wild guess).

Thanks in advance for any wise words of wisdom.

Lou

I have a task to do and am a bit stuck - and feeling rather thick :embarass:

Somewhere above atomic number 110 there is an island of stability where the atoms of elements are likely to have longer lifetimes. There is as yet an unknown element that has 120 protons and 174 newtrons' date=' it is called utimatum and has the symbol Ul

1. I need to state the atomic number ([i']120[/i]?) and give the full symbol for the isotope (is this 294 over 120 Ul?)

Yes.

6. Suppose that the isotope of Ul whose symbol I wrote in 1 above undergoes a succession of 7 a-decay reactions:

(a) what isotope would be the final product of these changes? Do I remove 7 lots of something and so many protons and the figures I end up with give me another isotope??

An alpha is a He-4 nucleus. So the final product will have 14 fewer protons and 14 fewer neutrons.

2. I have to give the Period and the Group of the periodic table where I would expect to find Ul and explain how I arrived at it (I am stuck here with the group and have it under period 7).

I'll tell you how to do it. Find the electronic configuration of the element. The nuimber of electrons in its outer shell is the group number.

3. I have to name another chemilca elememt in the Periodic table that I would expect it to resemble closely (? do I look at something with the same number of protons and neutrons?)

Look at any element in the same group for this one.

4. I have to state and give my reasons whether I expect it be a metal, semi-metal or non-metal (? is this given away by the numbers?)

Elements that lie on the left hand side and middle of the periodic table are all metals. Elements that lie towards the right are all non-metals. For elements that are semi-metal, look at the link:

http://helios.augustana.edu/physics/301/periodic-table-fix.jpg

Notice that there is a zig zag line that starts at boron, it is dark. Any elements that lie next to that line are semi-metal.

5. Have to give the highest empirical formula of the highest normal oxide and highest fluoride of Ul (and have to explain how I got the formula). Guess this is Ul something 0 and UlF but not sure if I should have any other numbers there.

Nearly there, am I on the right track for this one, have been going over it and no further along!