Matter and Mixtures

Sara*

well I just have a COUPLE of questions to ask a bit of stuff i would like to know about matter and mixtures like distillation ..etc

When is distillation effective?

Describe 3 ways to seperate a solution

Explain the diffrence bettween dilute and concentratedsolutions

Qaulitive and Qauntitive observations????

Factors that affect the rate of dissolving

Explain distillation in detail

well I just have a COUPLE of questions to ask a bit of stuff i would like to know about matter and mixtures like distillation ..etc

When is distillation effective?

Describe 3 ways to seperate a solution

Explain the diffrence bettween dilute and concentrated solutions

Qaulitive and Qauntitive observations????

Factors that affect the rate of dissolving

Explain distillation in detail

Distillation is effective if you wanna distill something

3 ways to seperate a solution is to heat it up.. very good filter machine.. or.. let it sit for a very very long time

difference btwn dilute and concertrated solutions.. is.. uh.. dilute is not concentrated?? i uno.. sounds teh same to me

qualitive is.. quality.. and quantitive is.. quantity

factors that affect the rate of dissolving .. uh, temp.. amount of surface area.. and i cant think of another right now

distillation .. uh, look up on internet

Qualatative is observations as opposed to quantative figures and sums.

Distallatoin is effective if you have several (known) substances and know their relative boiling points. e.g. fractional distallation of hydrocarbons. Or to purify something eg seperating water from the contaminants

Concentrated samples contain alot more of a substance and are more pure. Diluted is when water is added to decrease the concentration in substance. e.g. a shot of Rum is more concentrated, as opposed to the rum content of Rum&coke

The seperation of solutions sounds right..

factors that effect the rate of dissolving are

-Surface area

-Tempreture

-pH (sometimes)

-Catalyst

-Concentration

Distallation is the process by which liquids or gases are heated where some or all of the components are heated to a specific tempreture this in turn seperates them due to different materials having different boiling or melting points. This is what happens if you have a pure water distiller. the usual contaminints have alot higher boiling points than 100 degrees C so remain at the bottom of teh container while water is evaporated off, and recondensed in a new container....although its said to be pure its not really that good, PURE water is very very expensive, and if i might add quite delicious (i got my ass booted for it though;)

http://lorien.ncl.ac.uk/ming/distil/distil0.htm

http://ull.chemistry.uakron.edu/chemsep/distillation/