A sci fi section?

I think it's a great idea (from the mouth of an avid sci-fi reader ;)).

Are you thinking of something along the lines of roleplaying or short stories or a mixture of the two? I've known these types of forums to be quite popular elsewhere.

I just noticed that there were a few people interested in sci fi scenarios and writing stories, and people who like books, television shows and movies. It would be good to have somewhere to put these types of threads, and I imagine attract more people to the site.

Yes, there are a few here... some probably joined just to ask questions that relate to their stories. Whereas this would only be one use of it, it would be great to have a section where science fiction writers can post their ideas on science in stories to get feedback in that respect, thus helping to prevent convulsion-inducing technobabble that some poor soul of weak constitution might otherwise read some day in the future. It might also serve as a more relaxed part of the forum, where instead of debating based on current theories and facts we could just let our imaginations stretch a little and consider what it might be like one day, or could be like, even if you have to leave the science a little foggy. I'm not talking about pseudoscience of course, and anyway, people would come to it looking for solutions to their theoretical science probems, not to post conspiracy theories like in the pseudoscience section. If anyone came in with ideas for their scifi story that they aren't prepared to change even if the science is completely wrong, then we can just cry blue fantasy and leave them be. It would help to educate writers in science, and be a positive draw to the forums. ;)

Well yes... we could go to another site for science fiction related discussions. But then we'd have to deal with, quite frankly, a bunch of people who know nothing about science and/or the scientific method, where all posts inevitably degenerate into Star Trek vs. Star Wars flame wars or discussions about the bra size of the latest Star Trek supermodel. We could likewise just go to physicsforums.com for our science related questions, but this site it a hell/heck of a lot better as it's smaller, and it's a much better environment. Just like a smaller student/staff ratio is better, it's also better moderated, hence the generally good quality of posts here. People who are serious about the science in their stories don't want to ask scifi nerds about it; they ask scientists.

Basically, I'm saying that we could make an intelligent scifi section in this forum. There wouldn't need to be a section for general scifi chat (though maybe blike could make a sticky telling us why he hates Babylon 5 so much ;)), and it would only need be science-related. The purpose would be to remove ideas like those found in the pseudoscience forum and focus on real science. A lot of people seem to think that science fiction - because it did at one point consist cheifly of ten-storey spiders and moon-men come to steal our women - will always be worthless, and a lot of scifi writers call their work "speculative fiction" because science fiction has got such a bad rep now. :/

Methinks its a good idea.

But science fiction is normally not meant to follow science' date=' so it wouldn't be much of a scientific discussion.[/quote']But the whole thing is, we could make a section where people come when they want help on making science fiction that does follow science. A lot of people just name their stuff science fiction when it's blatantly fantasy because they want the word "science" in there, to lend it credibility. Since not that many people know very much about science, when a book comes out with science that's approximately as credible as "The Core", they think that science says that sort of thing is possible when it isn't. If science fiction isn't normally meant to follow science, then it's really just fantasy. Most science fiction doesn't follow science, of course, because most science fiction writers are those who like science fiction and want to write it, but don't know anything about science, which is precisely why a scifi section on these forums would be really helpful; it would help people to produce real science fiction instead of fantasy, and learn something in the process. If they ask about the science and decide that they definitely aren't removing their methane breathing, silicon-based lifeforms from Cygnus X-1, or their pink furry flying vampire vixens from Venus, then they can take the title "science fiction" and stick it their own plot-twisting wormhole.

The only difference between science ficiton and fantasy is that science fiction is supposed to involve science. Most doesn't, so most is fantasy and the so called "science fiction" gets a bad rep for pretending to be realistic when it isn't. A fully realistic science ficiton novel is practically an original idea in itself.

Sorry, I get... emotional about these things. I apologise. :embarass:

I'm going to go write some fantasy now (or science fiction).

Personally I think it's a great idea (as I'm sure I've already said); it'd be a great way to pull in new people even if it is edging a bit (read: quite a lot) on pseudoscience. For budding writers, it's a nice way to get some feedback and bounce new ideas around.