Mandrake vs Linspire....

albertlee

Above are the linux systems which are the easiest type of Linux I have ever seen....

but which one is more compatible with linux software? since someone says Linspire only works better when only use its CNR softwares from its warehouse.....

Secondly, how about their stability?

albert

i've not used either of the ones above, nor will, but a linux is linux.

roughly speaking, you can take a version of linux(flavor), change it's name, change some of it looks, while keeping the bulk of it the same, and as long as you adhere to the GPL, you'll be able to say this is Your OWN version of linux.

as far as the software, it's all the same. unzip and recompile it if it's a tarball or if it's an rpm just treat it as such, etc.

Since getting a new PC about 2 months ago I've given them both a try in the last few weeks. I would recommend you go with Mandrake.

how about their stability?

Both the same.

why Mandrake has 3 CDs? why it is such big?

Hehe, 3 CDs is a comaprative titch compared to some distros. I've got an old boxed set of Mandrake 8.1 in a cuboard somewhere which is 7 CDs and I'm in the middle of downloading the ISOs for the 7 discs for Debian. Assuming you're talking about the Download edition the third CD is just language support which you could live without.

Compare this with XP, and it's a flea. I mean, XP is about 9 gigabytes (I think)!

Doesn't that tell you something?

Mandrake is a full-fledged operating system which ships with 3 out-of-the-box web servers, 2 database solutions and an absolutely huge raft of productivity, development and programming applications.

And yet SOMEHOW Windows XP - which ships "as is" - manages to be bigger.

Could it be because nobody at Microsoft still knows what everything does, and half the code in XP is doing nothing at all? :confused:

Could it be because nobody at Microsoft still knows what everything does' date=' and half the code in XP is doing nothing at all? :confused:[/quote']

a very very long time ago, in a galaxy far away, i managed to get my hands on the full source code for win95. this was back when win98 was in it's golden age. and you know what, you are absolutely right ;)

Not true; there's always Solitaire and Minesweeper!!!!

(and yes' date=' XP sucks)[/quote']

Xp sucks...really?

According to the below link

http://tryoutlinux.com/best.html

Linspire seems to be the best and Xp seems to be the second best....

More over, see the stabibility part, is really Xp more stable than Linux except Linspire distribution?

Albert

Hey guys, I have just installed Linspire on my laptop........

It works damn slower than Xp......and for the hardware, it cant even detect my PCMCIA wireless Lan card......

Linspire is worse on its compability with hardware and stabibility than Xp....

I think I would give Mandrake a try, but, since Cohen said that both stabibility is the same....I think I would rather stick with PC.......

Linspire is just an easy version of Linux for learning purpose.....No worth to buy it.

To me, Linux's advantages are just its free-source code/softwares, and less cost....

Since I havent tried Mandrake yet, any body can tell about it?

Albert