About Linux software......

albertlee

Does any one know about any

1) software that develops visual basic,

2) software that can compiler, debug, code a program before deploying into a full program....like Jbuilder

in Linux?

Please tell the softwares which are visualized, not only programming environment using sime text editor... :-(:-(

because that makes programming less fun :)

Apreciate in advance

Albert

most flavors of Linux(at least all the ones i've tryed) have numerous shell as well as gui development tools under the x-windows.

although i've never tryed to use VB in linux and do not know of any tools that can do it. but then again, you can simulate VB in linux, but to what purpose???

Adviral, because basic is the easiest language for many purposes...........

As far as what you sound, Does only microsoft use visual basic? and is vb designed for windows?

Secondly, again, as I mentioned before, what java devlopment tools can be used in Linux? like Jbuilder?

Albert

Adviral' date=' because basic is the easiest language for many purposes...........

[/quote'] Yes, I know. I used it for about a year or so.

As far as what you sound, Does only microsoft use visual basic? and is vb designed for windows?

Yes and Yes.

Secondly, again, as I mentioned before, what java devlopment tools can be used in Linux? like Jbuilder?

I don't know Java, but JBuilder is a Windows Specific App, just like VB. Though the difference is that you can take the Java code and recompile it in Linux - provided that it does not invoke any Windows Specific Libraries. But I'll just shutup for now, since I do know a thing about Java.

Then again, Linux does have a few Java suites.

{edit}

Looks like Borland now made JBuilder available on Mac's and Linux.

http://archive.infoworld.com/articles/ec/xml/00/01/31/000131ecjbuilder.xml

But then the reason for my ignorance of such fact is that I never liked or cared about Java development and have done absolutely 0 programming in ANY language in more than 5 years. :D

{edit 2}

Damnit, I'm wrong in all cases. I should have imagined that at some point in time, they will port the code or the tools such as VB to Linux.

You should check out http://freshmeat.net for some solutions to your need.

A list of VB Linux clones:

http://tools.devchannel.org/devtoolschannel/04/02/02/1932209.shtml

ps. I am just starting using lispire.....

Then I feel I should warn you about the difficulties of using any software on Linspire aside from what they provide with CnR. When I gave it a try I had huge problems getting applications like gAIM to install and run, however Linspire will provide a whole host of compatible apps ... if you pay a yearly subscription to their software warehouse. Hope you have more fun then I did with it.

How can linspire not be compatible with linux software aside CNR?

I didn't say it's not compatible, I said you'll have huge difficulties. The developers at Linspire consider CnR to be the distribution method of Linux apps of tommorow (today! Sorry couldn't resist :P) and they make no secret of this. Just have a browse over their site and see what a big deal they make of it, heck just look at this from their FAQs:

Question:

Can Linspire/LindowsOS run Microsoft® Windows software programs and applications?

Answer

From the CEO, Michael Robertson:

Before answering that question, you may first want to ask yourself if that is really what you want to do? You see, in addition to stability and security, the biggest benefit of running a Linspire/LindowsOS computer is cost. As I have discussed on many occasions, by using Linspire/LindowsOS and CNR (click-n-run), businesses and home computer users can save literally thousands of dollarswith their basic computing needs by NOT using the traditional, expensive Microsoft Windows programs. It doesn't make much sense to convert to an affordable operating system, such as Linspire/LindowsOS , to only then turn around and continue spending thousands of dollars on expensive MS Windows software.

Lindows, Inc believes it is FILE compatibility that is important, not so much PROGRAM compatibility. [emphasis mine] We believe what is important is to provide easy-to-use software, that is affordable AND can edit all the MS Windows compatible file types (.doc, .xls, .ppt, .pdf, etc.).

However, since the vast majority of people are moving from Microsoft Windows, this is one of the most often-asked questions we get, so I've broken this topic down into several smaller, yet related questions. I think you'll see that migrating from the world of Microsoft Windows isn't as difficult as you perhaps may have believed, but the actual solution to that migration may surprise you. As you'll see, it's not in running Microsoft Windows software...

Aside from not actually answering the question directly (the answer is a 'no' with a 'but', as in it's apps can handle typical Windows extensions, which to be fair most traditional distros of Linux can as well, and it comes bundled with WINE which allows *some* Windows apps to kind of run) they're pushing CnR as if it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Linspire is Debian based so you can run Debian packages but it takes a little tweaking. Linspire dosn't come with the complete dependancies and libraries so you're going to have to download and set those up by yourself, something of a daunting task to a Linux newbie fresh from Windows. I'll give them credit, it's good marketing, can't say I approve but it must be effective. The alternative is simply to shell out the £5 a month or whatever it is to subscribe to their software warehouse, you won't learn much about the way Linux works with that but you'll get working software. Just to push the point home, from a Linspire forums pinned "Lindows Do's and Don'ts' thread:

Lindows will issue new versions, which has to replace the entire installed software, because of dependency and version changes. Until you get a new distro cd, do not update any software unless it is critical or recommanded by Lindows. Buy the Lindows CNR will give you many days of security.

(source: http://forum.openlindows.com/viewtopic.php?t=175)

Any way, I think Linspire is good for some people who are computer beginners and still want to try a bit of Linux.........

Cohen, what I am truly asking is why there is a great difficulty on installing Linux soft. on Linspire?

Alberty

I alread told you why in my last post:

Linspire dosn't come with the complete dependancies and libraries so you're going to have to download and set those up by yourself, something of a daunting task to a Linux newbie fresh from Windows.

geez, you're impatient and pushy ;)

i suppose it can work, provided that it will run in the shell and not the mac os itself.

don't have a max os X to try it out myself though.

but yes, taking a source designed for a linux and recompiling it on unix, will not be a problem in most cases.

I'm sure I must have answered this question a thousand times.

Different types of CPUs have different instruction codes. If you write a program for one platform, this does not necessarily mean that the instructions are the same for any other platform.

Don't macintosh cpu's read everything backwards? I heard that somehwere, not sure if it's true.

OSX is based on an linux distro called Darwin. This distro is based of the Mach 3.0 microkernel and 4.4BSD.