It's hot!

GutZ

Given the summer time I've always wondered if there were any substances that would help in combating heat and humidity without using airconditioners and electrical appliances.

I was looking at a chemical approach. Is there something I can make that is first cheap or moderately cheap that would take away (absorb) humidity? and is there any safe reaction I could do that would have a decent endothermic reaction that would effectively cool down a small room?'

I think if there was I it would be well know, but I figure I would give it a shot.

Any help would be cool. (:P that pun is for phi)

Given the summer time I've always wondered if there were any substances that would help in combating heat and humidity without using airconditioners and electrical appliances.

I was looking at a chemical approach. Is there something I can make that is first cheap or moderately cheap that would take away (absorb) humidity? and is there any safe reaction I could do that would have a decent endothermic reaction that would effectively cool down a small room?'

I think if there was I it would be well know, but I figure I would give it a shot.

Any help would be cool. (:P that pun is for phi)

An endothermic reaction? No. Electricity is really cheap. Chemicals are not.

Dehumidifying, however, is fairly common. But, if the room is open to the outside, they're useless. They sell containers of slightly hydrated CaCl2, which absorb water given some time. They are meant for closets and basements where you might get mold or mildew. However, there are also electronic dehumidifers which cost more to get initially, but last a long time and are cheap compared to chemicals in the long run.

Personally, I bake the CaCl2 chips until they let off no more water, and use them as dessicant in a dessicator. With maybe 3L of air to operate on, they do their job in a hurry.