Looking for some good books.

hewj11

Just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions for cosmo/phys books that are a little past leymans versions. Something that goes more in depth with the math and beyond just the concepts.

Thanks

Just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions for cosmo/phys books that are a little past leymans versions. Something that goes more in depth with the math and beyond just the concepts.

Thanks

The only ones I know of are very advanced. E.g.

Principles of Physical Cosmology by Peebles

Cosmological Physics by Peacock

What level of math/physics do you have in mind? Do you know tensor analysis and general relativity?

Thanks

I would not want to buy anything but the new Steven Weinberg text

http://www.amazon.com/Cosmology-Steven-Weinberg/dp/0198526822/

The Amazon page lets you browse inside.

It is available for $60 used.

I'm just stingy enough that I often use library books instead of buying. I live near a campus. So I don't own this. Are you near to a college or university library?

Thanks for the suggestions. To answer proton; I've taken calc and entry level physics classes. But i understand the concepts of gen rel. just dont know the math behind it so much. To martin; I do live near and go to two college campuses so I should def give them a check.

Thanks for the suggestions. To answer proton; I've taken calc and entry level physics classes.

In that case the texts mentions so far too advanced for you at this time. The best book I can think of for you is Gravity from the Ground Up by Bernard F. Schutz. Later in your education, after you have the calculus sequence and basic physics sequence behind you, you should read this author's text A first course in general relativity. It's a great book to learn GR from and is used at many universities, including MIT, for their GR course.

Edited by proton

I always scan Astronomy magazine when I shop for groceries. If it has a story that keeps me reading for more than 10 minutes, I have to buy it. I don't have a college science education, I just love to watch programs about cosmology on TV. :)