carbon dioxide pressure over wine

smit0452

Hello, everyone. This is my first post. :)

I'm having trouble with a problem from my general chemistry homework. Everytime I work it out, I end up with a ridiculously large pressure. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. The problem is written as follows:

In the "Methode Champenoise," grape juice is fermented in a wine bottle to produce sparkling wine. The reaction is

C6H12O6(aq)---> 2 C2H5OH(aq) + 2 CO2(g)

Fermentation of 750. mL of grape juice (density=1.0g/mL) is allowed to take place in a bottle with a total volume of 825mL until 12% by volume is ethanol (C2H5OH). Assuming that the CO2 is insoluble in water (actually, a wrong assumption), what would be the pressure of CO2 inside the wine bottle at 25 degrees Celsius? (density of ethanol is 0.79g/mL)

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... this is what i did:

Set x as an independent variable representing the volume of grape juice that reacts to produce ethanol.

Use the given volume percentage with stoichometric ratio, density, molar mass, etc to solve for x.

Verify that x gives y such that (in mL [ethanol volume]) y*100/(750-x) =~ 12%

Convert x to moles of CO2 and use PV=nRT to solve for pressure. (V=825-(750-x)-y???)

I got 0.29 atm but that isn't large so i'm assuming i did something wrong... :)

(Is this reasoning correct?)