How can amateur scientist contribute?

Guest picklehero

Guest picklehero

I have been interested in science for many years now. While in college, I majored in a field other than science. While I am pursuing a career in my chosen field a study, I am also interested in pursuing science as a hobby. I am interested in doing research to further some or even all fields of science. This brings me to my question.

In what ways can an amateur scientist contribute to the major fields of science?

Guest picklehero

Anything. Is that too broad? :)

If it helps to narrow the fields down, I am most interested in astronomy and biology.

I know virtually nothing about astronomy, but I've heard it has alot of input from amateurs. Maybe look for a local astronomy club, especially one at a nearby university if there is one, they might have access to the more pricey equipment.

With biology, you could try to get involved as a volunteer worker with local researchers. Again, if there is a local univeristy, take a look around and ask at the biology admin about volunteering. Most likely there'll be noticeboards around the biology buildings with a few people wanting people to help them with something.

I'll second the mention of astronomy. Lots of amateur input. The universe is a big place, and there always seems to be room for more astronomers, as it were.

You could get started soon - there's a transit of Venus on June 8. Hasn't happened since 1882!