phpBB

Yahoo doesn't support PHP afaik.

Even if they did they definately don't support databases for their members.

Yeah, that's correct.

You might want to try somewhere like tripod.co.uk, last time I looked they were doing free PHP/MySQL hosting.

As regards to installing phpBB, it's a pretty simple process, just need to change the paths that you're given depending on the host, then upload the files with the correct permissions and run the install script.

Yeah, usually paying a small amount for some web hosting is usually the best option; there's not many places around that'll dish out mysql/php for free with no adverts, unless you happen to know a guy with a server :)

Your welcome :)

Just google "free web hosting with PHP" and you will get loads! Just make sure it is free though, some web hosting companies try and trick you into inputting your credit card number and all that rubbish :)

Is that directed at me? If it is, I have no absolute idea! :) I haven't been exposed at all with running an apache server at home, so, I have no idea!

haha

directed to anyone that can answer it

Maybe dave?

I remember he said something about running something online with his own box

You can if you have a static IP (you can also do it if you have a dynamic IP, but it's more complicated), but it's not recommended unless you're fully conversant with load balancing and server security etc.

Can you run the forums from your own apache http server?

Like from your own box?

Sure, I do it at home (as you rightly heard me say :)).

I use dyndns.org to get myself a nice hostname for the dynamic IP because BT won't give me a static IP unless I change to some stupidly expensive service. Basically I have my ADSL router (which is a netgear DG814 for anyone that cares) set up to let traffic through on port 80 to my server machine, which is an old PII 450MHz. The only downside to it is that I can't assign an IP to the top level of my domain name because that requires a static IP.

On that box there's also an ftp server and a nice mailserver (postfix) that I hooked up with mysql to give myself a nice virtual mail system.

Load balancing isn't a problem unless you've got quite a few visitors on your site. I don't, so obviously it's not a problem. Server security is another issue, but since I use gentoo, I make sure I'm patched up to the most frequent updates. Having as few ports open as possible is also pretty essential.

Oh, and don't even try it on anything below a DSL/Cable connection unless you like the idea of running a server on 56k dialup (?!)