Help please...?

Guest freddynew

Guest freddynew

I need some help with some study for a test, any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

- Discuss Newtons 2nd Lawand its equation F=ma to confirm the observations of motion

- Show the relationship between mass,force and acceleration

- Show using appropriate models that levers can act as force multipliers or distance multipliers

- Show the advantage and disadvantage of an inclined plane as a simple machine

- Discuss the concept of mechanical advantage and how it may be found

- Show with models that a theoretcal mechanical advantage and practical mechanical advantage can be different

- Show that gear wheels and pulley wheels can act as force multipliers and speed multipliers

- Show using models how wheels can change the direction of movement and of rotation

- Observe machines in everyday life and there role

- Discuss motion and car safety, such as car seatbelts, airbags, crumple zones, etc.

- Explore problems of long distance manned space flights

These are pretty basic questions, and are exactly how I recieved them. This is my catch up work as ive been in hospital for a week (so please dont think im slack at school) any help at all would be appreciated, including links to any helpful websites.

Thanks

Ok, I'll start it off!

Here is a good site that you can go to to get some of the general information about what you have asked. If you are at GCSE standard, then I can help you a bit :)

GCSE BYTESIZE!!!

- Discuss Newtons 2nd Lawand its equation F=ma to confirm the observations of motion

Newtons second law of motion says that an unbalance in forces' date=' will cause either uniform acceleration or uniform decelleration. This means that an object would keep on accellerating at steady intervals. Maybe 1 m/s every second.

Show the relationship between mass,force and acceleration

The formula f=ma is the relationship. you just mentioned it :)

Discuss motion and car safety' date=' such as car seatbelts, airbags, crumple zones, etc.

[/quote']

Well, simple stuff is all that is required in addition to common sense. Seatbelts basically hold the person to the seat, so that, in case a car is involved in an accident, the person does not go flying through the windsheild. This increases his chance of surivival.

Airbags do a similar thing, but, in this case, they act as a sheild in where a person does not suffer damages to the head, the may cause death. They act as a cushion.

The crumple zone is an area in front and the back of the car in when upon impact, crumples into a smaller area. You can imagine it as an area which has foam. What this does is that it reduces the amount of Kinetic energy that is given to the people inside the car, reducing their chances of flyingout of their seats :) It works by absoribing the kinetic energy, which makes it crumple into a smaller area. It wastes this energy, and it can save a person's life.

I hope that helps a little, those are the stuff that you need to know for the GCSE. I am not really an expert with the rest :)

Guest freddynew

Thanks heaps. Thats the kind of stuff i need to know. I know alot of it is basic and stupid stuff but i just havent been able to grasp it as well as id like, and this is just perfect. Thanks

:)

- Show using appropriate models that levers can act as force multipliers or distance multipliers

For levers, I immeadiatly think of torque. Torque is proportional to the distance from the fulcrum times the perpendicular component of the force applied at that point. Therefore, increasing the distance from the fulcrum on the lever would increase the force exerted on the other side.

- Show the advantage and disadvantage of an inclined plane as a simple machine
The advantage to inclined planes are that they increase the distance over which a verticle force must be aplied. If you need to exert a force of magnitude X to lift an object straight up, you can make it easier by using a inclined plane. The same force of X would need to be applied, but not all at once. It would be spread out over the inclined plane.

- Observe machines in everyday life and there role

There are many of them to see. Some simple ones are the hammer (lever), bike chains and pulleys (pulley) and so on. I'm sure you can come up with a few more good examples.

- Explore problems of long distance manned space flights

The main problem as I understand it is the time factor. The moon isn't a problem as it's only a matter of days, but the next closest planet requires months. Obviously, months in a confined spacecraft with few other people can be very difficult. Also, giving the men and/or women all the conveniences we take for granted causes problem. Cost is difficult. Extended periods in zero-gravity is yet another problem to be overcome.

The main problem as I understand it is the time factor. The moon isn't a problem as it's only a matter of days, but the next closest planet requires months. Obviously, months in a confined spacecraft with few other people can be very difficult. Also, giving the men and/or women all the conveniences we take for granted causes problem. Cost is difficult. Extended periods in zero-gravity is yet another problem to be overcome.

To get a bonus point or two, you could mention a bit about relativity, and how travelling at faster speeds causes time dilation effects between different inertial frames.

To get a bonus point or two, you could mention a bit about relativity, and how travelling at faster speeds causes time dilation effects between different inertial frames.

And what problems does this present to manned space flight?