visual basic and qbasic......

albertlee

I have a book about qbasic, but on my computer, there is Visual Basic from Microsoft Office 2000........

If I want to learn basic on Visual Basic, can I just read my qbasic book? or do I have to buy a new book? ....

because I dont know is there a difference on the basic of VB and QB.......

Any suggestion?

Albert

Well, from my experience, you do need to buy a new book :( . QBASIC is all about typing the scripts out. Visual basic does that automatically, and cna create forms, boxes, etc. easily.

I don't know about its scripting though, or if there is a way to edit it manually.

Aomaster, do you mean that qbasic cannot creat forms ,box ,and etc? or it just takes more time?

secondly, if learning visual basic's main difference to qbasic is just that it can do things more quickly and easily than qbasic, then I think qbasic would be more completely to learn as learning basic language.......

Any suggestion?

Albert

Whilst it's true that QBasic is similar to the original style of BASIC programming, the language is pretty much outdated now. You're definately better off using Visual Basic.

I have a book about qbasic, but on my computer, there is Visual Basic from Microsoft Office 2000........

VB that comes with MS Office is not the full thing and it's not enought to make a stand alone app. Some of the things you can use that for is to make your Spreadsheet More effective or perhaps write a new version of ILoveYou virus. ;)

If you want to program in VB, get a Full version of Visual Basic and a Pretty big book to go with it. While it'll be very pricey at a retail store, you might want to check your local college for a Student's version which will have everything you need for starters.

If I want to learn basic on Visual Basic, can I just read my qbasic book? or do I have to buy a new book? ....

because I dont know is there a difference on the basic of VB and QB......

VB and Basic/QBasic is a completely different beast. If you want an environment of VB but can't afford to pay 200+ bucks for it, you might want to look for a Borlands C++ Builder. This is usually much cheaper, I got my version for about $70 for the full version but you'll need to learn C++, otherwise, the basic functionality of Borlands C++ is almost exactly the same as VB.

Well, that's it, and in effect, Visual basic is easier, because you can see what you are doing. In Qbasic, you can't.

Visual Basic allows you to create graphics, or import graphics in an easier way than Qbasic.

Also, QBasic graphics aren't that good. Download a few games for QBasic and compare those with Visual Basic :)

Is the only difference of visual basic than qbasic is that visual basic can do things easier visually' date=' and make windows programs, which qbasic cant? thats all?

Albert[/quote']

what?

nonono no no no.

Visial Basic and Basic are two different languages. Basic may have evolved into Visual Basic, but at this point in time it's a whole different language.

see for yourself:

Basic source:

DIM Day$(7)

LET Day$(1) = "Sunday"

LET Day$(2) = "Monday"

and so on. To PRINT one of these variables in the array, you would

do so just like a regular variable:

PRINT "Today is "; Day$(1); "."

And, accordingly, to get a value from the keyboard into the array,

you use the INPUT command:

INPUT "What is Player 1's name"; players$(1)

INPUT "What is Player 2's name"; players$(2)

Visual Basic source:

<SCRIPT Language="VBScript">

-->

Function frmExample_onsubmit

If instr(frmExample.txtemail.Value, "@") = 0 OR _

instr(frmExample.txtemail.Value, ".") = 0 OR _

Len(frmExample.txtemail.Value) < 7 Then

window.alert "Please specify a valid e-mail address!"

frmExample_onsubmit = False

End IF

End Function

</SCRIPT>

it's a whole different language, different syntax, etc.

the code is much more evolved in vb than it is in basic. while vb maybe is backward compatible, the reverse is not true.

i never tryed compiling the basic code in vb as i never saw a practical reason it doing so, but i guess i can try when i get home and see what that does.

according to this, vb will compile basic code if it's of version 4.5 basic or 7.1 professional basic

http://www.fys.ruu.nl/~bergmann/history.html