Micro Machines: Honey I Shrunk Dofasco

Xittenn

Damn it I spelled Dofasco wrong...........

Electric vs. Gas Smelting Furnace...........................

I haven't really looked into it but from a logical point of view they both seem to have advantages.

Electrical:

-no need for gas

-can power from an electrical outlet or generator of adequate power

-zero emmision heater

-higher efficiency; less loss to surrounding atmosphere

Gas:

-easier to repair ceramic containment vessel

any thoughts in general...................:D

for those who are clueless:

Dofasco is a steel company.

How do you plan to make the electricity? Using a gas generator?

I believe (but I'm not sure) that electric arc furnaces are used to melt metal scrap. It uses electricity (lots of it). This can have any origin... also a gas generator.

A blast furnace can turn ore into steel. It uses coal, which is turned into coke as a fuel.

I never heard of a gas smelting furnace for steel manufacturing. Also, the word "gas" is not mentioned on the wikipedia page of Dofasco... Could you explain a bit what you're talking about?

for those who are clueless:

How do you plan to make the electricity? Using a gas generator?

I never heard of a gas smelting furnace for steel manufacturing. Also, the word "gas" is not mentioned on the wikipedia page of Dofasco... Could you explain a bit what you're talking about?

To answer your first question.......well that's one I'm just not going to answer as it's kind of futile.

I really shouldn't have said smelting.........I'm thinking more like melting, doping and molding(more specifically.)

Coal and Coke are messy in ones bedroom and the ores I'm looking at using are already purified........I'm sorry for not being entirely clear on the matter.

But anyway read through

http://www.airproducts.com/NR/rdonlyres/BB02F4DD-0366-4B15-AF41-569AD3C58600/0/OxyFuel_Cupola_TrierVDG2004.pdf

Edited by buttacup