C vs Basic....

albertlee

What I mean is we could make a new OS which has same kernel as Unix...Will it be possible?

don't you mean Linux instead of Unix? Linux is 100% Free(Open Source)

many Unix Flavors are not. i'm not sure, but maybe FreeBSD is an exception.

and you literally can save yourself a whole lot of trouble and just take the entire Linux kernel and then modify a bit or a lot to produce a different flavor of Linux and christen it with whatever name you want, provided that you adhere to the GPL.

Secondly ,Can we simply use visual c++ to compile the code a new OS?

yeah

but admiral, what I wonder is, in Linux, the excecutable file is not .exe, so wont Micrsoft's Visual C compile the code into Windows program?

just for wondering....How can another system's specific compiler compile other thing which is not compatible to itself?

Albert

but admiral' date=' what I wonder is, in Linux, the excecutable file is not .exe, so wont Micrsoft's Visual C compile the code into Windows program?

just for wondering....How can another system's specific compiler compile other thing which is not compatible to itself?

Albert[/quote']

well, like they said, Once a C is always a C.

every os will have it's share of unique set of libriaries for the programming language so learn those. but overall, if you forget about platform specific code, C OR C++ will work in windows just as well as in Linux or Unix. that's the WHOLE purpose in compiling and recompiling the source.

You're talking about cross-compilation, which is very possible under the same operating system. gcc (which is pretty much the de-facto C/C++ compiler for linux - which is definately not the same as UNIX btw) can cross-compile source code which is not intended for the same CPU type. For example, you might have a very old Motorola 68k which you can't be bothered compiling things for. No problems, you set up a 68k cross-compiler on a fast box so that you compile things for it. It's not as simple as this, but it's that kind of idea.