Extracting NaClO3

OK. I took the time to look at an MSDS for drano. It contains sodium hypochlorite....NaOCl..... Bleach..... Totally different animal.

actualy, on heating this, it will eventualy make sodium Chlorate :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, best way to get your sodium chlorate. mix a bit of NaOCl with NaHSO4, and then pas the ensuing gas through your drano.....mainly NaOH. When a rough Ph of 7 is achieved, heat the liquid to boiling and then cool. It will throw off a nice crop of NaClO3. Repeat the last step three or four times. By the way, what are you planning on doing with it? "SPRENGEL" comes to mind....

ya know, it beats hell outa me WHY anyone would go to such lengths when Sodium Chlorate is readily available in almost ANY gardening or hardware shop?

WHY!????

and it`s filthy cheap too!

WHY!?????

anyone that has SERIOUS ilegal activity in mind would:

a) not ask or post on fully open and public forum

b) have available to them chemicals that would do significantly more damage than a simple mechanical explosive device :)

not really. I make KClO3 and KClO4 all the time (NaClO3 is the precursor). and I don`t go around terrorising folks, I make fireworks and tree stump removal explosives as well as Special Effects for film.

the wanting to experiment with sodium chlorate isn`t particularly shocking to me :)

I was playing with that kinda stuff as a kid :)

Ding ding....such experimentation is illegal... at least here in the states. A bit of discretion should be used when asking of such things. Hell, a farmer can't buy ammonium nitrate without being put on a terrorist watch list.

it is ilegal here also :)

but it doesn`t stop me and half zillion others from making our own rockets and stars and fountains and gerbs and shells :)

sure it`s ilegal, and I`m possitive they`de bust me for the video footage I take of my rocket and firework tests, but there`s NO WAY in a law court they could ever do me for terrorism! :)

I`ve never hurt a soul outside of a punch up! :)

what happens when you treat glycerol with a mixture of nitric and sulphuric acid?

not alot happens most of the time unless you get your temp and nitrating mic concentrations correct :)

9 times outa 10 you`ll get a runaway reaction and lots of brown gas (NO2) or a crap product, at best you`ll get a head ache from sniffing it.

IF you manage to get the reaction done properly you`ll has succeeded in making trinitroglycerine although what you`de wish to make that for is beyond me? there`s much better explosive compounds out there and easier to make without any of the toxic hazzards and without having to purify so much for stability, NG`s perfectly safe and predictable and nothing like what you see on TV or the scare monger rumors often heard, it`s a good explosive, but there IS better :)

lol, fair play to you, but I would seriously advise you or ANYONE not to drink while messing with such things, you need all the focus of attention you can possibly afford (even then it may not be enough and accidents will occur).

I love a good drink of the old beer too, there nothing wrong with that at all, in fact I positively recomend it :)

but do it AFTER you`ve assembled and completed all your work :)