Last night's Panorama

Dave

For those in the UK, did you watch Panorama last night? I thought it was a very interesting insight into what would happen in a real terrorist attack in London. However, I did spot this on BBC News' website saying that it received complaints saying the program was 'too realisic'.

Now call me stupid but isn't this the entire point of the programme?

(It didn't contain any graphic scenes btw)

I love those "What if Reality Shows." Every year here in Florida the local TV station broadcasts a simulated, yet realistic scenario of a hurricane hitting our coast straight on. Pretty much everything blows away, floods, and lots of people die. My particular neighborhood would be in about 20 feet of water from a weak category 3 storm of 125 mph winds.

That might not be so bad, water front property is quite valuable!!

Now call me stupid but isn't this the entire point of the programme?

I hate those programmes. It had a tube train driver saying 'I've not been told what to do!’. Seriously, what are the options? It either involves going forward, backward or staying still. I'm fairly sure there isn't a secret track on each route labelled 'escape from terrorists here'.

Basically, if a chemical attack happens in any city your going to be screwed. Causing panic through absurd preparations and preventative mesures can't help matters.

I saw that one... the most disturbing part was when the chlorine tanker got hit and started leaking. I don't know how it happened in it as I wasn't watching the entire time, but I assume it was specifically targeted by terrorists in it. They said that the gas would have killed about 2000 people... :/ In total about as many people would have died in that scenario as on 9/11.

I'm not surprised that people who thought that it was "too realistic" complained; if they'd just switched to that channel they might have thought that it was real. That's what happened when the War of the Worlds was aired on radio, after all, and people commited suicide from that.

But as that article said, they had different camera angles on the news presenters and such; that and the fact that every 2 minutes they had that board of people displayed. I think it's a bit hard to make it too much more obvious without killing the shock factor.

There is one at 2am-3am on 25th May (week today) according to the radio times website. It has signing though, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Just set your VCR to record it, and you're sorted.