Genetic Engineering

Guest kerazi_dayzi

Guest kerazi_dayzi

I'm doing a huge project on the pro's of genetic engineering for "super immunity". One of the points we are arguing is that eventually the human race will be immune to various diseases due to natural selection/survival of the fittest, and that we are simply speeding up the process. However I've been unable to find even an estimate as to how long genetic therapy or even directly splicing the DNA and changing the components around takes before it is considered sucessful or complete. This is probably due to the lack of actual experimentation, but i would like to at least have a time range to place in my argument. Also if you happen to know anybody with experience in this field that wouldn't mind a few questions over the net that i can use in this project as well, that would be awsome to know. Thanks for your time and possible help! :)

One of the points we are arguing is that eventually the human race will be immune to various diseases due to natural selection/survival of the fittest, and that we are simply speeding up the process. FONT'] :)

why do i see many-a-problem with this notion?

but you might want to check out some of the genetic research the MIT is currently running for starters

One of the points we are arguing is that eventually the human race will be immune to various diseases due to natural selection/survival of the fittest, and that we are simply speeding up the process.

the problem with that pov is that it neglects to notice that the viruses are evolving more rapidly than we are, natural selection only has a weak influence on humans now, and it also neglects the functioning of the immune system. Furthermore, the human population is now so large, that it is effectively in stasis - it would take aeons for say, a gene which provided resistance against HIV to spread through the entire population (if it ever did), so the initial argument is wrong, and there is no need to argue against it by saying we are simply speeding up that process.

• 8 months later...

Few immunities or residences have been results from mutation, examples being cystic fibrosis and collear and sickle cell anemia to malaria, but these mutations are most likely results from first the presence of the disease. With genetic engineering to produce a better immune response you would have to have a wide variety of targets and responses to foreign agents, and would most likely cause an effect that would halt the spontaneous development through mutations among the humans you test or treat with this, and there spawn or course……iam sure they would be ok with that if you also gave them UV vision or increased memory or something