What to do, what to do??!!

Mrs.Jordan

I don't know what to do! I am engulfed into my own little world of science, and becoming more and more confused. I love science. I want to study science, learn science, and contribute to science. Initially, I was intrigued by biological sciences, and still am. But, as I venture further into more diverse categories of science, I become even more intrigued, and don't know exactly what I want to study. I just need some feedback from anybody who has previously been in this situation and could give some advice as to how I could get through this a little easier. I would greatly appreicate it.

:confused:

First off, take your time. I like all areas of science too, but biology has always been my major focus. Think about science news stories of the past few months that you've read, and consider which ones were more interesting to you. Black holes or deep ocean trenches?

Second, don't worry about narrowing down before college. Just figure out whether you want to major in biology, chemistry, physics, etc, and then see how the actual coursework appeals to you in the various sub-fields.

Finally, don't fret about making the 'wrong' choice - you can always change. I started out majoring in aerospace engineering, and didn't decide to follow my true passion for biology until after I'd gotten my degree and started my MS. Yes, it meant more school and more money, but it also meant I have a unique skillset and a high degree of skill at my chosen specialty (biomechanics of animal locomotion).

Don't focus too early or too narrowly. In this age of cross-discipline collaboration, the scientists who do best often are those with the broadest knowledge.

Hell, I know two people who are successful scientists who started out in professional baseball and Olympic figure skating.

I can tell you what I find interesting, but that won't help you. Really you need to decide for yourself. Also, different opportunities will arise and that can push you towards things you never considered before. My best advice would be to remain open to what ever comes your way, even if it is not what you imagined you would be doing.

Mokele..my most recent goal has been to find out how to study such a broad range of subjects. I am interested in them all. Are there any types of programs in universities that allow you to study science at a broad range instead of focusing in on one specific field?

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Thank you for your advice, ajb. I figure that would be the best thing to do. Just go with the flow...I've learned that if you become set on doing something and you feel as though you are so sure it is what you want to do..you end up doing something completely opposite of what you had initially set to achieve.

Also, in the US, most science programs require you to take "Intro to ____" in each of the Big Three (so "Intro to Bio", "Intro to Chem", and "Intro to Physics"). None of those will really get deep into the subject, but there's also further overlap - people in chem and physics often take courses relating quantum to molecular stuff, while people in bio always take organic chemistry.

Double and even triple majors are possible, but can add time to graduation. Usually, you'll figure out what's most interesting by the end of your second year.

Indeed. In addition to taking the Intro classes, you will also have electives which you can spend on areas which interest you. I used my elective class opportunities on an applied physics for beginners class (we blew stuff up, made superconducting/floating magnets, most of the popular experiments from the last 3 centuries right there in the lecture hall), as well as neurobiology, and also psychopharmacology. Not exactly what most kids consider fun, but I remember those courses most out of my entire education. Although, I must concede, I did use one elective on judo and another on tennis. I had to do something normal, I suppose. :)

Famous advice, by I forget who, is to know something about everything and everything about something. That said, you can major in "maths and sciences" if your college offers it, which will let you take pretty much any science courses you like as part of your major. Once you've sampled some of everything, you may want to get a masters in some specific field.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Incidentally, I am in a similar situation, as I love science and have no idea which area to focus on.