Free article from "Physics today", January 2009

Solving quantum field theories via curved spacetimes

Strongly interacting quantum field theories are notoriously difficult to work with, but new information about some of them is emerging from their surprising correspondence with gravitational theories.

Igor R. Klebanov and Juan M. Maldacena

pp. 28-33

http://ptonline.aip.org/getpdf/servlet/GetPDFServlet?filetype=pdf&id=PHTOAD000062000001000028000001&idtype=cvips

Please offer a personal point of view on this, something to discuss...

Yes, I too would be glad to hear your own comment on this!

I'm also glad simply to know about the article. It is a semipopular overview of some mostly 10 year old string work. AdS/CFT correspondence. Maybe the most important string development in a dozen years.

By two top-rank people. Maldacena was the 1998 author. AdS/CFT is his baby.

If someone is going to write a 10 year retrospective popularization of it, cant think of anyone better.

Personally I think string hasn't paid off and that it's in decline---I'm not interested in it, or only slightly. But out of fairness I've got to say this article is a good find and will be helpful to whoever is curious about Maldacena's work.

Yuri, what is your thought about this? Would you like to explain the ideas in the article? Teach your intuition?