Atkins Low Carb...Where does it go?

Squintz

Hi all its been a while since i have been here. I have been automating my house and designing a web based control center so that i can monitor and control all the electrical devices in my house.(just a hobby of mine)

Recently i started the Atkins diet. It works. I started 2 week ago and weighed 224lbs today i weigh 215. Most of that lose is water weight but I'm sure all of it is not. I have been drinking at least 2L of water a day. Of course i am urinating allot more than i used to and i am taking a Multivitamin without iron and also Oil of Oregano with a flaxseed oil base.

I have been reading up on Atkins for while now and on another forum there are many question about the diet and most people don't seem to have scientific proof or even a good solid foundation to back up their answers. So I'm counting on you guys to help me out.

When i burn fat how does it exit my body?

The answer i got for this question is that you metabolize the fat and the bi products are Carbon dioxide and Water. Meaning as you breath you lose fat and as you pee you are loosing it also. But i was told that it does not come out of in your stool but if it is coming out that way you might have a medical issue.

Also i was told that the reason drinking water helps you lose weight is because:

1) your kidneys and liver work together and one of the two needs water in order to work. If you don't give it enough water that it takes it energy from the other one and then either your kidney or liver(I'm not sure which one it was) can not work as hard and does not break down the food as fast.

2) Water flushes out the burned fat bi-products and thus you lose fat.

3) If you keep drinking water daily then your body counts you the fact that you are going to provide it with water as it needs it thus it does not store the water.

So i am Drinking allot of water. I have cut my carbs down to only 20 a day and these are mostly from vegetables which are on the acceptable food list. Such as Green Peppers, Celery, Onions, Broccoli, Cauliflower. My sugar intake is very minimal and i try to use sacrolose(sp?) also known as Splenda by brand name instead of regular Sugar. I eat Turkey, Chicken, and Beef.

Can you all explain why or why not these statements that i have read are true or false. Also what is you opinion about lowering carbs and increasing your fat intake for nearly the rest of your life. Atkins is meant to be a new way of eating not just a quick diet. Most people i talk to say their cholesterol has dropped since they have been on Atkins and most have more energy, better figure, and a nicer color to their skin.

Nice talking to you guys again.

Hi all its been a while since i have been here. I have been automating my house and designing a web based control center so that i can monitor and control all the electrical devices in my house.(just a hobby of mine)

Recently i started the Atkins diet. It works. I started 2 week ago and weighed 224lbs today i weigh 215. Most of that lose is water weight but I'm sure all of it is not. I have been drinking at least 2L of water a day. Of course i am urinating allot more than i used to and i am taking a Multivitamin without iron and also Oil of Oregano with a flaxseed oil base.

I have been reading up on Atkins for while now and on another forum there are many question about the diet and most people don't seem to have scientific proof or even a good solid foundation to back up their answers. So I'm counting on you guys to help me out.

When i burn fat how does it exit my body?

The answer i got for this question is that you metabolize the fat and the bi products are Carbon dioxide and Water. Meaning as you breath you lose fat and as you pee you are loosing it also. But i was told that it does not come out of in your stool but if it is coming out that way you might have a medical issue.

True. When you metabolise fat' date=' the byproducts are carbon dioxide and water. When you breathe out, you expel C02 (the byproduct of fat, not fat itself) and when you urinate you lose water (again, a byproduct of fat).

There should be no fat in your stool. If there is, you have a problem with your gall bladder or bile duct.

Also i was told that the reason drinking water helps you lose weight is because:

1) your kidneys and liver work together and one of the two needs water in order to work. If you don't give it enough water that it takes it energy from the other one and then either your kidney or liver(I'm not sure which one it was) can not work as hard and does not break down the food as fast.

2) Water flushes out the burned fat bi-products and thus you lose fat.

3) If you keep drinking water daily then your body counts you the fact that you are going to provide it with water as it needs it thus it does not store the water.

All organs need water to work, but you kidneys require blood-pressure and blood solutes levels to be within certain limits in order to function normally. The liver does break down food to any great extent. It acts as a kind of factory, processing sugars, converting them and storing them in the form of glucogon. Your kidneys are filters only. That's all they do. They need a certain blood pressure to push the filtrates and water through permiable capillary walls in the glomeruli (Bowman's capsules), and they use an osmotic gradient in the loops of Henle to reclaim the water and concentrate the waste products. Increasing the amount of water you drink will reduce the osmotic gradient in the loops of Henle so you lose more water (your urine becomes more dilute). Reducing your water intake increases the osmotic gradient and result in more concentrated urine. As you ahve already stated, water is one of the byproducts of fat metabolism and it is excreted through the kidneys as normal.

Unlike with food, the body does not have a 'predictive' system for water; it is too critical. With food, if you fast, the body goes into 'fasting mode' and trais to reduce your energy output as far as possible (which is why slimming diets based on fasting are counter-productive). With water however, the levels are more critical and the margins for error are a lot smaller. When you dehydrate, the osmotic gradient increases and your kidneys reclaim more, but this is a passive function of dehydration, not a predictive physiological strategy. There are mechanisms the body employs to conserve water, but these are short-term compared to the bodies strategy for dealing with fasting. Dehydration will always kill before starvation.

So i am Drinking allot of water. I have cut my carbs down to only 20 a day and these are mostly from vegetables which are on the acceptable food list. Such as Green Peppers, Celery, Onions, Broccoli, Cauliflower. My sugar intake is very minimal and i try to use sacrolose(sp?) also known as Splenda by brand name instead of regular Sugar. I eat Turkey, Chicken, and Beef.

Can you all explain why or why not these statements that i have read are true or false. Also what is you opinion about lowering carbs and increasing your fat intake for nearly the rest of your life. Atkins is meant to be a new way of eating not just a quick diet. Most people i talk to say their cholesterol has dropped since they have been on Atkins and most have more energy, better figure, and a nicer color to their skin.

Nice talking to you guys again.

The mail fuel for the body is carbohydrate (complex sugars, usually broken down to simple glucose for use). Fat constitutes a rich, but acute source of energy, which is why we store energy in that form. Unit for unit, fat (triglycerides) contains about 2.5 times the amount of energy as sugar, but it takes more to break it down into a usable form. There are also some nasty byproducts of fat metabolism (ketones). If we are forced to break down body fat for energy, one of the side effects an increase in ketone levels; i.e. the individual becomes ketotic and begins to poison themselves. I don't know enough about the Atkins diet to comment on it. But, by own feeling (in the absence of further information) is that a balanced diet, providing for all the body's needs, combined with regular exercise is better than forcing the body to work harder to compensate for an imbalanced diet in order to lose weight.