triangles

operator

Thanks dave for the last piece of information. I find myself stuck on a question about triangles. What is the side length of an equilateral triangle if the area is 1732 cm squared. What is the equation? I'm missing something? Thanks in advance

I'd set up two equations, 1 for the height in terms of the base and 1 for the area of a triangle. Then, substitute the formula for height into the second equation and solve.

A=(1/2)bh

(b/2)*sqrt(3)=h

I think that might work.

One of the numerous equations for working out the area of a triangle is 1/2*a*b*sin(theta), where theta is the angle between the two sides a and b. If you use this formula, it's pretty easy to find the side length:

i.e. 1732 = 1/2*a2 sin(60)

Re-arrange it a bit, and you should get a to be sqrt(1732*4/sqrt(3)) = 63.24 cm.

(this is basically the same approach as the one jordan mentioned, only without the simultaneous equations).

I do tend to do things the hard way like that. I'm just horrible at memorizing formulas so I solve it my own way and end up with something close to the origional formula. It's kind of rewarding to do it like that sometimes. Other times it's just anoying.