H2O2+NaCl+Fe=??

Falkon

Well I've been making rust for use and thermte and I found this way of makingiron oxide without using electrolysis.

But what does it yield?

H2O2+NaCl+Fe=

For some reason I keep thinking that I made chlorine gas. Which is not good.

I'm pretty sure it would make hydrogen-chloride

I was running this experiment outside, but whne the hydrogen peroxide began to froze I brought it inside and removed the iron I was using, but it still continued to bubble. I left it in the house overnight (it's 4am now) without thinking that might be making chlorine. About 20 minutes ago, I dumped the solution out outside.

I still can't stop thinking about it though.

Edited by Falkon

the sodium ion is far too reactive for any HCl or Cl2 to escape into the air, you`r quite safe in that regard.

Do however be careful when adding Metals to Hydrogen peroxide, depending on the strength and metal used, the reaction can be quite energetic.

also bear in mind the thermite reaction is extremely dangerous. basically once it starts it will melt almost anything and nothing will put the fire out until it runs out of reactants.

This part is a really big deal on an aircraft carrier if one of the planes crash on the flight deck. Those jets are mostly magnesium and once the jet fuel ignites the magnesium, they have to be pushed overboard before burning a hole down through the decks.

I misunderstood exactly what a thermite reaction is, thinking it applied more generally to burning metals.:doh: The point about the airplane still stands though. Firefighting protocol on an aircraft carrier says to get a burning jet overboard ASAP before it burns its way through the decks, the fire would be hot enough to melt steel.

Edited by npts2020