Electronic switch

gonelli

can`t you rectify the 9VAC to make DC instead? there`s not much in the way of "Electronics" that works on AC, it tends to prefer DC, a fullwave bridge rectifier feeding a relay will work.

Edited by YT2095

Relays with AC coils are perfectly common and they work just fine.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=2567

When the current flows one way the coil becomes a magnet and atracts the armature. When the current reverses exactly the same thing happens. The reason you can't generally stick a paperclip to a magnet is that most of the flux flows round a closed loop.

no one`s saying AC relays aren`t available, these are specially designed for the job and can`t be substituted with a regular relay without support circuitry (such as a diode).

btw, I tested your idea before I posted #4, and I assure you again, it doesn`t work, I used a 9 and 6v type, nada.

put DC into a transformer and it`ll stick (I tested that one that too).

it Would be interesting to see what would happen at a lower frequency and maybe not use a sinewave but rather a square wave?

I also expect that it may be possible to use a regular relay AC driven, if you use matched capacitors. although it would probably only work well at a given frequency.