pollution from chemical experiments

hierarch

Our research group is to develop materials and techniques to reduce environmental pollution. However, it can be often seen toxic chemicals release in our lab. For example, some toxic reagents release into water and some harmful organic gases release into air. I am just confused. Could anyone introduce the situation of your lab?

My english is poor (I am not a native english speaker) but I like to try it. Our research is to develop materials and techniques for pollution prevention. On the other hand, toxic chemicals often release into environment in our experiments. Here, I wonder if there also are toxic chemicals release into environment in your lab? If not, how do you avoid it?

Where possible I neutralise any potentialy harmfull chems, and often reclaim them where possible. there will always be unavoidable "pollution" in a small lab, and not having filters in fume cuboards and expensive pumps etc.. will be the main cause, even soldering causes some toxic gasses, but I never cosider that when I get a face full of it during "up close" work, it can never really be 100%, but where possible and practical, I do my best to avoid such toxin release. besides some chems are expensive, and if you can reclaim them, it does your Bank Ballance some good too :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know where you are but most chem labs in universities and companies here in the US have at the very least vent hoods and waste disposal containers to separate all the different kinds of waste, then the waste management team come and picks them up :D

What THEY do with it is expensive and elaborate.

I can't believe you are doing research on environmentally toxic materials without an adequate waste disposal system in place FIRST. :eek:

Get the waste disposal system in place BEFORE you do any research. I know this may sound impractical, but so is polluting your backyard. If you were here in the US, you'd be shut down quick.