Zero Dimensional Point.

throng

Zero dimensional means existance with no measurable quantity. A point is merely a representation for the immeasurable.

I think zero dimensional points are actual phenomena, here's why:

Volume is spontaneously created and we observe universal expansion. Since the distances are increasing, space is created from an immeasurable quantity or zero dimension or 'nothing'.

Could distance or volume expand if there were no zero dimension?

I really do think there exists a zero dimension with no measurable quantities.

Word salad.

The nature of the universe does not dictate anything with regard to mathematics. Mathematicians can (and do) create a complete valid mathematical constructs that have absolutely nothing to do with physical reality. The expansion of the universe has nothing to do with the nature of a point as a point is a mathematical construct.

But...

Zero dimensional objects (called quantum dots), do exist, both mathematically and in reality, and are studied greatly.

I disagree: Quantum dots do not exist mathematically. They exist physically, and you physicists have developed a mathematical model of them that is consonant with their theoretic and experimental behavior as far as you can tell.

Mathematics is something distinct from science. A mathematical truth remains a mathematical truth forever. Absolute truth doesn't exist in science. Some young whippersnapper will someday find a new feature of quantum dots that shows the existing models of quantum dots are but an approximation. The mathematics you physicists and electrical engineers currently use to describe quantum dots may be of reduced interest because of their reduced physical validity, but they will remain valid mathematically.

I really do think there exists a zero dimension with no measurable quantities.

If the "zero dimension" has no measurable quantities, why does it matter if it exists or not? Furthermore, if it has no measurable quantities, how could you ever either prove or disprove its existence?

Say what you like, the electrons are confined to 0D, so the quantum dot (QD) is a 0D system.

Perhaps we are talking about different quantum dots. I'm thinking the semiconductor that is confined, you are thinking something else I'm not aware of?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_dots

EDIT:

Okay, I concede my argument and turn it into a question. How can something have size and yet be zero dimensional?

EDIT 2:

As another question, to be zero-dimensional doesn't it have to exist at one specific moment and then flash out of existence? For example take this dot ------> . While it is had no dimensions in space, it continues to exist throughout time, making it a line in spacetime. So how can you have something that is zero-dimensional and still use it?

I'm working toward my Materials Science degree and this really interests me, so don't take anything I say in a bad way.

Edited by Riogho

I disagree: Quantum dots do not exist mathematically. They exist physically, and you physicists have developed a mathematical model of them that is consonant with their theoretic and experimental behavior as far as you can tell.

Mathematics is something distinct from science. A mathematical truth remains a mathematical truth forever. Absolute truth doesn't exist in science. Some young whippersnapper will someday find a new feature of quantum dots that shows the existing models of quantum dots are but an approximation. The mathematics you physicists and electrical engineers currently use to describe quantum dots may be of reduced interest because of their reduced physical validity, but they will remain valid mathematically.

A fair point, but from our models of other things confining electrons to 2D, 1D or 0D is a simple conclusion.

Perhaps we are talking about different quantum dots. I'm thinking the semiconductor that is confined, you are thinking something else I'm not aware of?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_dots

EDIT:

Okay, I concede my argument and turn it into a question. How can something have size and yet be zero dimensional?

The electron (yes normally 1) within the quantum dot is confined to 0D, it has no degrees of freedom.

EDIT 2:

As another question, to be zero-dimensional doesn't it have to exist at one specific moment and then flash out of existence? For example take this dot ------> . While it is had no dimensions in space, it continues to exist throughout time, making it a line in spacetime. So how can you have something that is zero-dimensional and still use it?

I'm working toward my Materials Science degree and this really interests me, so don't take anything I say in a bad way.

When we say 3D, 2D, 1D or 0D, we are nearly always talking entirely about spacial dimensions and not temporal ones. So a 0D quantum dot, is in fact 1 dimensional if you consider the four dimensions of space-time.

Agree with D H.

But...

Zero dimensional objects (called quantum dots), do exist, both mathematically and in reality, and are studied greatly.

Thanks for dressing the tossed salad.

I'm glad there's quantum dots, I will read up on that, for now it's the first I've heard of it.

I'm just a dreamer and I dwell on concepts.

When we think of Zero Dimensions we immediately think of a dot as it has no volume. So, we are conditioned or even bound to conceive of dots from a 3D perspective.

However, zero dimensional merely means unmeasureable or non scalar quantity, so the dot visualisation is a very simplified representation.