Hogan's idea about the fuzziness of time (split from Rovelli thread)

The essential fuzziness of time may be the limiting factor for a gravitational-wave detector in Germany

http://www.nature.com/news/2008/081110/full/news.2008.1217.html#B1

Wow, even Nature has the ability to post almost-content-free material. I expected better of them. The mention "Hogan's ideas" without explaining what they are, like a few paragraphs are missing from the article.

Now, what does this have to do with Rovelli's article?

Now, what does this have to do with Rovelli's article?

Mmmpf. Nothing whatsoever.

This reminds me I should help more with housekeeping.

So I moved the posts focused on Hogan to a separate thread.

I think the connection with the Rovelli topic was what is called free association ;)

also it was a sobering observation about the vacuity of the online NatureNews article. Old hardcopy Nature is or used to be very selective. In any case here is the link to Hogan's article in Physical Review D.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0806.0665

Hogan, C. J. Phys. Rev. D 78, 087501 (2008).

Now one can rightly ask why would PRD (which I think of as high-grade peer review stuff) publish that Hogan article.

Maybe Hogan's paper in PRD indicates that we live in a media-hot jumpy environment. Like Fermilab CDF publishing anomalous data about some muons and the next day the theorists are on top of it. The natives are restless. But this could be just a misperception based on a small unrepresentative sample of events.

Edited by Martin