Geophysics vs. Physics

Observer

I have been struggling with a major choice for years now. I love physics with a passion and orriginally wanted to make that my major focus. I got through calc I, II, and III, dif.e.q., and general physics, but each successive semester Im becoming even more disinterested and overwhelmed with the math. (I got a B in calc, C in calc 2, D in calc 3..)

Still I love the physics. So I found geophysics and seismology-volcanism and I can really picture myself in that career. Problem arises because I would like to go for my masters in geophysics so I can eventually teach at highschool or college level. Would this qualifiy me for teaching physics? Or would I be stuck in geology? Would minoring in physics not only widen my possibilities for jobs but also allow me to teach eventually?

Thanks

This is just a guess, but there are a couple of factors here:

High schools are generally starved for science teachers, so geophysics vs physics shouldn't be much of an issue, and you will probably have to take enough physics for a geophysics degree that high school teaching would not be an issue at all — you likely wouldn't teach anything beyond calculus-based general physics.

College becomes more problematic, since you would likely be competing with physics degree holders, and PhD no less, for the teaching positions.

"Do what you love" is my advice.