Mushroom Identification?

YT2095

I was wondering if there were any Mycology experts here that could help me identify these babies?

shrooms.jpg

they grew in my herb bed, the spore color was black. other than that I can`t really tell you any more about them, any ideas if they were edible or not and what they`re called?

Thanx :)

I've got a book out on fungi because I was doing doing a bit on them as part of microbiology course. It's not that useful for identification though. As a guess, the genus is Lepiota.

• 2 weeks later...

needless to say, they are all dead now and happily decomposing on the compost heap :)

but I have no reason to believe that when conditions are 100% correct again that the spores wont germinate again (maybe next year?). they were certainly a pleasure to have and enjoy looking at (like a flower) but more interesting would be see what they taste like also :)

as I don`t have a death wish and am against halucinagenic drugs (personal choice), I`ve not risked it, and I don`t wish to do the old ways of feeding them to Dogs and see the reactions :(

I recon we have about a year before it happens again, but by that time, I want the info, and hopefully a knife and fork ready :)

I`ve not risked it, and I don`t wish to do the old ways of feeding them to Dogs and see the reactions :(

yeah but there are those that are easily expendable. mice, rats, squirrels, etc :)

so maybe instead of having to do the Pavlov's salivating dogs, you can do YT's hallucinating rodents? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hey skye, are you sure about Lepiota, since they look a lot to me like amanita panterina, mainly because of the brown hat with the 'dots'. This is also typiccaly for amanita panterina Could you give me some more information and tell me if I'm wrong? If it really is a. panterina you should definitely not eat them, because they are quite poisonous..