Stuff for Mandrake 10

Sayonara

After my abortive affair with Redhat before Christmas, I've now gone back to Linux. I'm dual-booting between Windows (yuk) and Mandrake 10 (yay).

Anyone know of any "must have" software?

I'm quite impressed at Bluefish so far, but I would like something that's a closer analogue of Dreamweaver MX (for the excellent validation alerts and syntax highlighting, etc).

Also is the Gimp the best PS analogue, or are there better packages?

http://www.gentoo.org/ is far superior to any other linux distro :P portage is possibly the greatest package management system ever' date=' you should definately give it a look.

But yeah, I can't really think of anything offhand, apart from xchat, which is the best IRC client ever.[/quote']

I'm not wanting to get into some distro-war, but I would go for archlinux instead of gentoo. Having to compile everything is a pain in the ass. Arch comes with a portage kind of system, as well as a binary distribution system like apt-get. Plus it has the simplicity from being based on a BSD-init style just like slack.

Having said that it doesn't really matter which one you use as long as it works... :P

As for the "must have" software:

amsn - MSN platform independent messenger clone

gaim - like amsn supports MSN protocol as well as all the others (IRC, AIM, etc..)

xmms - winamp look-alike

xchat - excelent irc client

mozilla - best browser ever

vim - best editor :P

eclipse/kdevelop/anjuta - for IDE lovers

IceWM - my favourite window manager

lftp - superb ftp client

acroread / xpdf /gpdf - any of them for reading your pdf files

openoffice

cdrecord

xine / mplayer / ogle - for all of your movies / dvds

frozenbubble - funny game

xboard - front end for gnu chess game

lol, I've already got all of that except for amsn :P

Is there a messenger analogue that supports M6's webcam protocols yet?

I'm using Firefox rather than Moz because I prefer it's compliancy models and consistent use of the DOM.

I'll have a look at the Archlinux site. I've heard good things about Gentoo (in fact TSA is run off a gentoo server), but mainly from people who like compiling...

I'm not ready to half-build my operating system just yet ;)

lol' date=' I've already got all of that except for amsn :P

Is there a messenger analogue that supports M6's webcam protocols yet?

[/quote']

I think the ayttm project supports webcam's, altough I'm not sure as I've never tried it. It's based on the old and buggy everybuddy... And it might get a bit messy getting the webcam drivers on the kernel if you've never configured it before. :-(

Outside MSN you can use gnomemeeting (linux) and netmeeting (windows) for webcam communications.

Perhaps, but being a stupid person, I like to be able to set my compiler flags to optimize for my P4 ;)

I've never called anyone stupid, I used gentoo for quite some time, but having to wait two days and a half for KDE to compile wasn't very amusing. :P

I've allways prefered pre-compiled packages where I just have to wait for the download to complete to use them. Besides having played arround with all the optimizations and pre-linking stuff on gentoo stage 3 and LFS I've never really saw any worthy gain in terms of speed or memory usage. But that's just my experience...