Higgs Boson, place your bets...

YT2095

will we find the Higgs Boson?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. will we find the Higgs Boson?

• Yes
    • No
    • what`s a Higgs Boson?

I reckon we won't. That would be far too easy woudn't it. Well probably find the HB to actually be a thousand and one new particles!

It's probably like the begining of time or the edge of the universe (same thing really), You can never quite see it. Just keeps on getting smaller.

Do these exchanges in any way change mass or charge of the particles they come from while the exchange is taking place?

Yes - if you exchange a charged particle (like a W+) you will change the charge. Many exchange particles will also change the mass.

Also, how does such a force act in every direction at the same time?

The exchange particles are constantly being emitted to and absorbed by all the other particles round about.

Not that I know enough particle physics to give an informed response, but I voted yes.

Same here. I'm fairly ignorant on things like QED, Field theory, particle physics etc. But from what I have learned I think it would make a complete picture. E.g. imagine a puzzle with a few puzzle pieces missing. Then one might predict that if they looked around the floor and under the couch etc. then they might find the missing pieces. Seems like a valid analogy to particle physics. Actually I just finished chapters 1 and 2 of Introduction to Elementary Particles by David Griffiths. This seems like a nice text and fairly rigorous. Anybody ever read this book or parts of it? ajb?

The exchange particles are constantly being emitted to and absorbed by all the other particles round about.

What I seem to be unable to visualize is a) are particles being emitted equally in infinite directions or b) are particles only emitted in the direction of another emittor of the same particles, or c) is the question irrelevant (kinda like what is outside of the universe?). Scenario "a" seems untenable on the surface but it seems to me that we would find instances when forces did not act predictably the same in all directions, unless "b" were true. If "b" is true, why?

Edited by swansont

• 5 weeks later...