Which is better Mac or pc

GalaxyKid789

Can you plug in a firewire DV cam and dump the contents into a non-linear video editor?

i'm actually doing it now. i'm dumping it into kino, but i could also dump it into avidemux or cinelerra but i really just want to transcode it so its a relatively small file size so kino is fine.

If your concentration is on:

• Art subjects: Then go for Mac. It is better graphically and visually.
  • Science subject: Then go for PC. You may need to install many programs hence having a PC enables you to be sure that it can installed. At times, some programs cannot be installed on Mac.

and this may just be my inexperience with a lot of other OS's talking, but lord forbid I come across ANYTHING on a server but Windows.

Yes, that's probably your inexperience with operating systems talking. I can't stand servers (or computers in general) without a *IX operating system... preferably Linux in the case of servers.

i'm actually doing it now. i'm dumping it into kino, but i could also dump it into avidemux or cinelerra but i really just want to transcode it so its a relatively small file size so kino is fine.

The interfaces of all those programs look abhorrent. But hey, at least they can interface with DV cams at all, I suppose.

the interfaces do take a bit of getting used to but they are very functional. and i'd pick functional but ugly over pretty but crap any day.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a non-linear editor with an interface that doesn't take some getting used to. Are you calling best-in-class programs like Avid Xpress DV and Final Cut Pro "pretty but crap"? Or for that matter, iMovie...

Yes, that's probably your inexperience with operating systems talking. I can't stand servers (or computers in general) without a *IX operating system... preferably Linux in the case of servers.

I've actually been meaning to get a new system here soon to test multi platforming and Linux OS. It's probably best to start with one new thing and go from there to be safe - but what the hey, I might as well! Any suggestions for an IX operating system for someone who's been stuck with Windows and MAC OS his whole life? Learning curve doesn't matter -